Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You have $10,000 to invest in baseball cards. What do you buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I thought this would be a fun hypothetical to hear what different people would do.

2 guidelines to consider:

1) Obviously there are more efficient ways to invest $10k, but assume you HAVE to put the money toward cards
2) Assume your goal is to turn that $10k into as much sell value/money as possible within 1 year

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I would buy the nicest PSA graded 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle I could find. I guess if that didn't work out, I could buy all the 2006 Bowman Draft I could find in hopes of pulling the Longoria superfractor. :p

10k wouldn't go too far on a graded 52 mick.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
2013 Bowman Jumbo Cases..... Oh wait, pledged over $10k already. Does that still count?

edit to add: flipping almost all sealed hence the fact that it is an investment rather than a gamble.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
31.jpg

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Had been a year ago Trout cards.
A couple years ago and actually happened it would be Strasburg and Josh Hamilton and well look where that got me.
Now I would say take that 10k run for the border or invest in Bryce Harper he has a 2012 Trout type season coming soon.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Some questions I have:

- Are we assuming that you can get unlimited quantity at current market values?
- Are we assuming that you will be able to effectively sell any quantity at that point in time's market values when you decide to sell?
- What is our desired risk tolerance? Are our metrics skewed towards safer but smaller returns or larger risks with the potential for larger returns?

The biggest issue I've found when I've decided to invest $5K+ into chrome autos of one player - you may have the money but the supply typically becomes limited when staying within the ranges the cards normally sell for and when liquidating that type of quantity, it can take a while to do so without effecting the market so the window of opportunity for selling has to be sufficient to move your inventory.

Last edited:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Some questions I have:

- Are we assuming that you can get unlimited quantity at current market values?
- Are we assuming that you will be able to effectively sell any quantity at that point in time's market values when you decide to sell?
- What is our desired risk tolerance? Are our metrics skewed towards safer but smaller returns or larger risks with the potential for larger returns?

The biggest issue I've found when I've decided to invest $5K+ into chrome autos of one player. You may have the money but the supply typically becomes limited when staying within the ranges the cards normally sell for and when liquidating that type of quantity, it can take a while to do so without effecting the market so the window of opportunity for selling has to be sufficient to move your inventory.

And that's the tough part...determining how to most effectively use the buying power to get maximum return within a year. Maybe you aim for the higher end cards of said player so you have fewer to move when it's time, or maybe you diversify so each player requires a smaller window of opportunity for selling.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
10,000 dollars worth of Sean Burroughs, Matt Bush and Ryan Leaf cards.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts