Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What was the last Mainstream Baseball Card Set that was awesome without GIMMICKS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1990 Upper Deck Hi# brought to the masses "Find The Reggie" and so started the HUGE inserts are worth a bizzillion dollars!!!!!! craze.

with the recent Leaf release debacle, it got me to thinking.... Was 1990 Leaf the last great mainstream baseball card set that didnt rely on gimmicks?

If you werent around (or collecting) when it was released, there simply is no way to relay to you how popular it really was.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah there are many types of gimmicks, not just inserts...

Topps Total perhaps. I'd like to say base Topps before the code cards because people like building sets, but not sure if it qualifies.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
1993 Finest unless the refractors are considered gimmicks. The set was insanely popular without the refractors involved though.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Yeah...this thread is pretty much done. You listed the top two right off the bat in 1990 Leaf and 1991 Stadium. I would kind of agree with BBCGalaxee in the 1992 Bowman, although they did have the "gold foil" cards which were supposed to be shortprinted. 92 Bowman was very hot right off the bat here. I remember getting $8-$10 for base Griffey and Thomas
Not much else up for discussion...

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
How about "despite" rather than "without" gimmicks? What are the Sets that are great to collect despite the inserts/SPs?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
My vote is 1992 Bowman... BG

Does this make me a leaf hater since I didn't pick 1990 leaf?

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Technically speaking "a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries."

Most products are very similar to one another and not particularly unique, they use the same old gimmicks so they're not really gimmicks anymore.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts