Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Postal Rate Increase...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Effective January 27, 2013:

First-Class letter rate up to one-ounce will increase from $0.45 to $0.46.
Postcards change from $0.32 to $0.33.
Certified Mail increases from $2.95 to $3.10.
Priority Mail® Small Flat Rate Box was $5.35 but will change to $5.80.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I don't feel sorry for all those PWE shippers that bought pre-stamped envelopes with $.46 postage. I guess they have to go back to the post office and get another penny stamped. LOL

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Just make it an even $.50 and get it over with already.

They have to ask for the increase from Congress since they don't receive government money. And if they ask for the 4 cent increase, they may not get it and see the amount of mail actually go down even more then.

As for the sellers raising shipping prices.......I read no change on flats( which is what the Bubble mailers are called) so they should not go up. But some will do it anyway.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Thats what you get for bailing them out with your tax money!

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Thats what you get for bailing them out with your tax money!

They have to ask congress if they can get an increase, but the increase comes from (you) the general public and no one else. They are a government entity, that does not receive any federal dollars at all. They are a business that has to have a operating budget and hopefully make money, for which of the past 10 years they have not. But for them to raise rates, they have to ask congress if they can get more money out of the general public, since they get nothing from the feds.....

Huh?

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I understand the USPS is a unique business, but they would have a much better chance of being financially successful if they were to get rid of their union. Much like the auto unions, the postal union is killing their competativeness.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I understand the USPS is a unique business, but they would have a much better chance of being financially successful if they were to get rid of their union. Much like the auto unions, the postal union is killing their competativeness.

They won't ever be "financially successful" but surely they should be able to be in a position to lose less money every year.

It's a mandated service...and profit is all bit impossible.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
They won't ever be "financially successful" but surely they should be able to be in a position to lose less money every year.

It's a mandated service...and profit is all bit impossible.

Yes, its their job to make sure mail gets delivered to all the "unprofitable areas". Otherwise people and businesses would be less likely to move to remote places.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Did we not bail them out with our tax money when they failed? They can be profitable without raising rates. USPS = poorly ran losers.

Nope, USPS gets nothing from taxpayers (other than federal grants, which all companies public and private are eligible for). They must run on revenues alone...and they suck at doing that. Automakers on the other hand...

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Your all wrong the post office would be very profitable if the government wasn't in its pocket.
And besides that where in the world can you find another company to send a physical piece of mail from the tip of Maine or Florida to Hawaii or Alaska for the price of a stamp or 1.64 or $1.81 bubble mailer? Heck I shipped a card to Japan from Texas for less than $5 with delivery confirmation.
UPS and Fed Ex would charge double or triple that I would bet.
Those prices are freaking ridiculous for consumers. And if you don't ship thru Paypal shipping your throwing away alot of money.

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/20...nt-accounting-behind-postal-service-woes?lite

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand why so many people complain about penny stamp increases or 50 cent package increases.
There's inflation, rising fuel prices for USPS planes and mail trucks, and other variables that increase just like in every other business.
I live in Hawaii, and think it's incredible that I can send an envelope 5,000 miles to my brother in New York for 45 cents, and it gets there in only three days.
Sure, the USPS could probably handle finances better, but too few customers take into account how prices are rising for everything and postage prices have risen much slower comparitively.

I don't understand why so many people complain about penny stamp increases or 50 cent package increases.
There's inflation, rising fuel prices for USPS planes and mail trucks, and other variables that increase just like in every other business.

I live in Hawaii, and think it's incredible that I can send an envelope 5,000 miles to my brother in New York for 45 cents, and it gets there in only three days.
Sure, the USPS could probably handle finances better, but too few customers take into account how prices are rising for everything and postage prices have risen much slower comparitively.

Because too many times they handle your packages WITHOUT care, take no pride in thier work/job, are late wayy to many times, are NO help many many times, ect ect

If they took more pride in thier work, and actually did a good job, people wouldnt care as much.

Members online