Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This weeks Sports Card Hot List is Live

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

The one thing you can’t bank on when you are prospecting is an off season trade. It can be a great influence on the value of the prospect you have been stashing. When a guy who has promise gets traded to a team that desperately needs him the hype needle starts rising due to a fan base hoping for something better. The fans of the Flushing Mets fit that role nicely as they netted two nice prospects in exchange for knuckle baller RA Dickey. Noah Syndergaard and Travis D’Arnaud were under the radar prospects north of the border. Now that they are in the big apple, they are getting plenty of hype. Both had enough of that hype to make this list. Let’s start with the football though as that is what the winter is all about.

#1 Colin Kaepernick Chrome Autographs

This is his second appearance as a #1 on this list. It takes beating Tom Brady in a marquee matchup game to make that happen. Although he was a little shaky at times he made the plays necessary as that stout Niners D fought off Brady and the Pats as they pulled out all the stops and still came up short.
Questions about his mechanics aren’t as visible as they were in camp, and the fan base has accepted him not as the quarterback of the future but the uncontested starter. Even myths of his elongated delivery have been debunked. His chrome autographs have doubled from about $50 to $100 with this win. It’s good to own a stash of this guy.

#2 Russell Wilson Finest Autographs

It’s a quarterback friendly week with three of them on this list. One of them is a backup making a hot list appearance even more unlikely. The NFL is truly a pass happy quarterback league.

Russell’s week highlights weren’t in the air. He accounted for 3 scores on the ground with 92 yards. Most running backs would be quite happy with that alone. His ability to stay calm and not make mistakes is very unlike most rookies. His near perfect selling of play fakes is also better than the rest of the class including Andrew Luck. This mix of good decision making and great technique has made him look like a franchise quarterback and his cards are starting to go for what they should. Finest patch autographs are around the $100 mark but won’t stay there long if he has more games like this. It seems like it’s just a matter of exposure.

#3 Knowshon Moreno Topps Chrome Autographs

I never really thought Moreno would bounce back. When I look at the guys profile I see a guy who is way too small for the NFL. He has an incredible motor and when healthy he’s a great addition to any team. I just don’t see him as a feature back.

Any player can gain hype though. When he leaped over Ed Reed he created his own hype. Add that to back to back great statistical weeks and you have your price spike. His gold refractors climbed from $20 to $60 this week. It was interesting that there was so little volume of this card sold previous to these past two weeks that I had to go to terapeak.com to get a baseline sell value.

#4 2012 Leaf Memories High End Autographs

Almost out of no where Memories is a great product. It gives player collectors something new to chase in the buyback autographs of players like Frank Thomas (pictured) Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, and Cal Ripken Jr.

Some dealers are complaining about low allocations as this product was extremely limited and when you run a hobby shop you have to fight for all of the good product you can.

Shops want more for good reason as the high end stuff is selling extremely well. Frank Thomas popped out of the gate at $350.

#5 Noah Syndergaard Chrome Autos

One of the chips in the RA Dickey deal, evaluators have seen talent ever since he hit the radar. His potential isn’t in doubt but his maturity is. Before the deal Noah made a bad decision by tweeting a gay slur on his twitter account. If you can give him any defense at all you can say that Crocs on a man look really dumb. And I just had to delete a slur to another group of individuals and replace it with the word dumb. That kind of mistake can happen to anyone as we say things like that and don’t think anything of it. It’s sad, but it’s also a part of society as some of these words have taken on an alternate meaning. Reckless tweet or not his chrome autographs have certainly responded. A refractor autograph that was sitting in your bulk autograph box since you pulled it is $50 bucks now.

#6 Travis D’Arnaud Chrome Autographs

The other part of the Dickey deal is a major league ready catcher. And this one has some serious pop. He’s frequently on MiLB offensive leader board in key stats like OPS and Home runs. He should also be the full time starting catcher for the Mets next year. I personally do not see anything standing between him and success. He is a big star waiting to happen.

Similar to Syndergaard his autographs have doubled and refractors are near the $50 mark right now. They may dip some initially but come this spring they won’t hold there.

#7 Kirk Cousins Rookie Autographs

Matt Shaub, TJ Yates, Kevin Kolb, Jeff Hostetler. All backup quarterbacks who have had hobby success during their tenure as a backup quarterback.
The Skins wanted some insurance in case they were wrong about Robert Griffin. Turns out they didn’t need the policy for long term protection. However as RG3 gets acclimated to the NFL and learns that he can’t always run circles around people up here they will need Kirk to step in when Griffin gets his bell rung. He stepped in big time this Sunday vs the Cleveland Browns with a 104 passer rating and over 300 yards in the air. DC needs him for now, but could easily obtain an offer sheet for him as other teams are watching this audition with a ton of interest. Collectors and speculators have that same interest as his certified autograph more than doubled from $16 to $40.

#8 Adrian Peterson Rookie Autos

I’m not really sure what people are waiting for. This league punishes running backs and they seldom achieve lasting success but if Peterson retired today he is in the hall. If he keeps up his production he could be in the conversation for best running back ever. Fresh off of knee surgery he pushes Eric Dickerson’s 30 year old single season rushing record. With two weeks left he needs 293 yards. He faces two good defenses in Houston and Green Bay, but I wouldn’t bet against that record falling.

If that record does fall look for his rookie cards to climb even higher. As people are starting to grasp the fact that this just might happen his contenders autograph went from $225 to $325.

MadHandle11

Jan 31, 2011
Spokane, WA
The list is great, but since it always come out three to four days after Friday (and includes performances that occur after Friday), why not just change the date of the hot list? Just a thought. Regardless, I always enjoy reading it.

Members online

Latest posts