Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

% difference of 10 auto vs 9 auto on slabs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
fellas

need some assistance with this question

2 things i want to know

1st - in your experience from seeing any past completed sales and what not, what is the difference of premium between a bgs 9.5 with 9 auto vs 10 auto? 10% 20% more/less?

2nd - as a buyer, would having that 9 auto change the way you bid on the card although it is a gem bgs 9.5 card? would you pass on it entirely even it means getting it cheaper than the 10 auto'ed version?

had a conversation with a member here last night about the premium difference and i have always thought that having the 9 auto grade would generate much less interest

dave

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
For me, I do not bid on slabbed cards with a 9 auto grade. I really can't give you a good reason for this other than that I don't like it.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
dave, it seems like the only time an auto gets a 9 is if it is off the sticker or even off the card.
almost seems like any clean auto in its entirety gets a 10. Seems like you see it most on trapped autos. I know i had some 02 pp autos that i have sold cus i couldnt stand the auto under the card. as far as price, im sure it is affected somewhat, but if its a 2001 chrome pujols, i bet it wouldnt matter.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
chrome_ball said:
For me, I do not bid on slabbed cards with a 9 auto grade. I really can't give you a good reason for this other than that I don't like it.

actually, me too. i've only done it once (but got a nice return on the card when it got hot)

something about a 9....

dave

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I think it depends on the set. If it's a chrome card where BGS 9.5s are coming, and there is not much of an increase in price for the a 9.5, the difference in price is small. However, if a BGS 9.5 is hard to get, then the 10 auto could sell for a lot more.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
boomo said:
dave, it seems like the only time an auto gets a 9 is if it is off the sticker or even off the card.
almost seems like any clean auto in its entirety gets a 10. Seems like you see it most on trapped autos. I know i had some 02 pp autos that i have sold cus i couldnt stand the auto under the card. as far as price, im sure it is affected somewhat, but if its a 2001 chrome pujols, i bet it wouldnt matter.

matt, the card in question is actually from this year's bcdp aflac auto cards which are on card autos but as you know, some of the high profile cards are tough to get the 10 auto. you can also argue about mike stanton's bcdp as well

if a bgs 9.5 10 auto sells for $100, then what would the same card with bgs 9.5 with 9 auto sell for? what would you, the buyer, bid if you have seen completed sales of that very same card with 10 auto that sold for $100?

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Zambrano38 said:
I think it depends on the set. If it's a chrome card where BGS 9.5s are coming, and there is not much of an increase in price for the a 9.5, the difference in price is small. However, if a BGS 9.5 is hard to get, then the 10 auto could sell for a lot more.

i should've come right out and have said the set in question

2008 bcdp aflac autos

dave

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've never once paid attention to an autograph grade on a BGS slab.

10 autographs can fade beyond recognition and stay in the slab with that worthless grade.

Autograph grades to me are completely trivial and worthless.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
i don't usually like 9 autos b/c there's usually a visible defect which bothers me- e.g., auto is faded, ink bleeds, auto is off centered, auto is cut off, etc. however, on some issues- like 02 UD PP- 10 aus are VERY tough (or used to be) to get, so assuming the 9 auto's not horribly defective imo, i'd buy it. 02 ud pp 9.5/9 does not seem to get much less than 02 ud pp 9.5/10- or @ least the difference didn't use to be huge. also, if the price is right, i'll buy almost any auto....why i even like FIIIIIIIIIIINE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES that aren't autoed :)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
boomo said:

gilmoreheyward.jpg

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
200lbhockeyplayer said:

10 autographs can fade beyond recognition and stay in the slab with that worthless grade.

personally, there are certain cards (old upper deck on card autos, for example) that i personally would put a premium on a bgs 9 with 10 auto, then for a bgs 9.5 with 9 auto. call me crazy ;)

i know what you are saying about the fades and what not so for you, a 9 auto or 10 auto of the same card, you would put the same value

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Kutzy said:
Would the card in my signature with a 9 auto grade garner less attention?

yours is a total different matter kutzy, since it's a #1/1 hence no other of the same kind is out there :D

dave

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
daveyou said:
Kutzy said:

yours is a total different matter kutzy, since it's a #1/1 hence no other of the same kind is out there :D

dave

Well, I realize its a 1/1. But would people pay more for the 9.5 tag? Less for the 9 auto tag?

I naturally assumed a 9.5 would garner a % increase over a raw grade simply because you knew what you were getting. However would the 9 auto grade negate that slight increase?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
daveyou said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

personally, there are certain cards (old upper deck on card autos, for example) that i personally would put a premium on a bgs 9 with 10 auto, then for a bgs 9.5 with 9 auto. call me crazy ;)

i know what you are saying about the fades and what not so for you, a 9 auto or 10 auto of the same card, you would put the same value

dave
Yep.

The autograph grade can change over time...yet the slab stays the same. I'll buy the overall better card...and would rather have a better looking autograph than a higher grade.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
rainmanesq said:
i don't usually like 9 autos b/c there's usually a visible defect which bothers me- e.g., auto is faded, ink bleeds, auto is off centered, auto is cut off, etc. however, on some issues- like 02 UD PP- 10 aus are VERY tough (or used to be) to get, so assuming the 9 auto's not horribly defective imo, i'd buy it. 02 ud pp 9.5/9 does not seem to get much less than 02 ud pp 9.5/10- or @ least the difference didn't use to be huge. also, if the price is right, i'll buy almost any auto....why i even like FIIIIIIIIIIINE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES that aren't autoed :)

are you sure about the 02 ud pp's? i could've sworn a few paid handsomely for the 10 auto of guys like kazmir, prince, etc over the 9 auto if memory serves....

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Kutzy said:
daveyou said:
Kutzy said:

dave

Well, I realize its a 1/1. But would people pay more for the 9.5 tag? Less for the 9 auto tag?

I naturally assumed a 9.5 would garner a % increase over a raw grade simply because you knew what you were getting. However would the 9 auto grade negate that slight increase?

that's an altogether a different topic since it's a 1/1 we are talking about. i believe there was a poll of whether one would pay that extra premium on a 1/1 slabbed a gem vs raw and i think it was pretty much 50/50

as for the auto grade, that one is a tough one....

dave

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I agree with 200lbs. The auto grades mean zero to me. I've seen many brutal 10's. Faded, very light with skips, just look at those 2001 Fat Albert signed cards that are so bubbled and look horrible and they got flippin 10's. Then you see some nice bold ones that get 9's. I've saved some scans of some of these brutal 10's. If i get time tonight I will post them.

Members online