Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nick Swisher Signs With the Indians

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Indians To Sign Nick Swisher
By Zach Links [December 23, 2012 at 8:53am CST]
The Indians have agreed to sign Nick Swisher to a four-year, $56MM deal, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (via Twitter). The MVP Sports Group client will also get a $14MM vesting option in year five that could boost the overall value to $70MM. The option for the 2017 season vests if he has a certain number of plate appearances in '16, and it'll be an easy number to reach if he's healthy, Feinsand tweets.

The veteran comes to Cleveland as the club's replacement in right field for Shin-Soo Choo. The Tribe sent Choo to the Reds earlier this winter in a three-team deal that netted them right-handed pitchers Trevor Bauer, Matt Albers, Bryan Shaw, and shortstop Drew Stubbs.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If the tribe make the post season, the clubhouse equipment guys will be thrilled as nick doesn't bring any bats in october.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I don't understand why Cleveland would spend this much on Swisher.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I don't understand why Cleveland would spend this much on Swisher.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

I was just thinking the same thing. Swisher is the only one that made out on this deal.

$14m a year for a .265 hitter and less than stellar arm?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Indians want Swisher to be a hometown hero.
He was born and grew up in Ohio and went to college at Ohio State.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
The Indians want Swisher to be a hometown hero.
He was born and grew up in Ohio and went to college at Ohio State.

That's the only reason I can think of the Indians made this absurd deal. I've been a Swisher fan since day 1. My former college teammate's brother was a teammate (follow that?) of Swisher for 3 years @ Ohio State...only reason I've followed Nick closely since day 1 with the Athletics.

All that said, Nick MADE BANK on this signing. Indians just made an awful move. $14 million a year on a declining hitter who will be EXTREMELY lucky to put up a 20 HR/80 RBI/.800 OPS line? Over the next 4 years!??!?!?

I'm happy for Nick. But I'm also happy an AL team made a dumb move.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
An average of 28 home runs a season, a switch-hitter, and durable (he had his first season under 150 games played since 2005, with 148 this year) are definitely among the reasons why the signing isn't as bad in the CURRENT market.

Just look at the top 6 players of the OF market this offseason:
Swisher - 4/56
Victorino - 3/39
Upton - 5/75
Pagan - 4/40
Hamilton - 5/125
Bourne - Unsigned

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
easy deal for swisher as he never needs to worry about showing up in the playoffs

Members online

Latest posts