Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Upper Deck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008
Was going through some 2009 Upper Deck and noticed that there are gold and silver cards for the same player. I believe there is nothing special about them but not sure. All the cards I have a gold so the silvers are the ones I don't see much. Can any one tell me anything about these?

img874.jpg

img875.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I opened the hell out of that product from retail and I can honestly say I've seen no silvers. I did get lucky and pull some Griffey sp's if I'm remembering correctly.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The Gold parallels had the silver backs, looks like that Swisher is a gold that missed the proper stamping. Very odd, I haven't heard of such a thing until now.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The Gold parallels had the silver backs, looks like that Swisher is a gold that missed the proper stamping. Very odd, I haven't heard of such a thing until now.

?

I thought the gold he posted was not a parallel. That's the base isn't it? I'll have to check when I get home...

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008

I thought the same thing since the gold parallels /99 were really silver but I have multiple cards like this see below.

2009 UD was really backwards; the base set was gold (with silver foil), but the Gold parallels /99 were silver (with gold foil).

I understand this but none of the "silver" cards that I have are numbered and they also have the silver foil so I don't believe they are the gold parallels missing the stamp

where are all the 2009 20th anniversary buybacks from these boxes???

Sold the 2 I pulled I remember Bo Diaz was one not sure who the other one was

I like I opened around 3 boxes of 2009 Upper Deck not sure if there is a difference between Hobby and Retail. I have way to many silver foil cards to believe it was some kind of mistake. I add more of the silver and golds that I have of the SAME card. I also have several more silvers but don't have the gold to go along with them. Also added a scan of the gold parallels.

img876.jpg
img878.jpg

img877.jpg
img879.jpg

img880.jpg
img882.jpg

img881.jpg
img883.jpg

GOLD PARALLELS (silver front with gold foil also numbered to 99 on the front)
img884.jpg
img885.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've opened tons and tons of both retail and hobby 2009 UD, and I've never seen this before. I suspect that UD fed the wrong sheets into the stamper at some point, and ended up with the Gold parallel cards stamped with the base card foil. The boxes you cracked might be all from the same production run. This is all a wild guess on my part, but it makes sense to me.

You'd probably get some good money for that Griffey silver, if these are as rare/unknown as they seem.

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008
Just wanted to see if anyone has any other kind of information. Also here are the scans of the other cards in question I just don't have the "gold verision to go with them
img892.jpg

img893.jpg

img894.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I still have no idea, but I'm assuming they have to be some kind of mistake. If you decide to move them, I'd be interested in the Lowe, Baldelli, and Jeremy Reed.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
I only opened half a box or so of loose packs and never got the silvers. Probably what DB said about the printing mistake, that seems the most logical. If you are selling them at some point, I'd be interested in the Oliver Perez, Franklin Gutierrez and Endy Chavez.

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
I have been wondering about these for a couple of years. I opened about 15 boxes of retail over the last couple of years and only three boxes had them and I got either 1 or 2 per pack. It seems like it is all or nothing when it comes to these silvers - the box either has them or they don't, and I think all of the boxes that I bought were the 24 pack/18 cards per pack variety.

I really think these are another parallel, not just misprinted gold /99 since, as one of the other posters said, they have silver foil on them rather than the gold foil the cards /99 have.

Members online

Latest posts