Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about a damaged Redemption from Topps that's #'d/10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Hi All,
I just got this in yesterday and immediately noticed a dinged corner on the card (top left, can't see it in the scan but its really noticeable in person). I was considering calling Topps for a replacement but the fact that this is #'d 1/10 has me hesitating in doing so. I'd like to hear what everyone else's opinions are on what I should do?
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• 2012ToppsWillMiddlebrooksPrismAuto.jpg
    2012ToppsWillMiddlebrooksPrismAuto.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 151

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
For cards numbered that low, Topps may not have an exact replacement. Also from my own experience, it seems that Topps CS simply doesn't care about quality anymore, since the last few batches of cards with bad corners, edges, etc. that I sent in were replaced with cards that were barely any better (in some cases WORSE) - i.e. the replacements themselves were also damaged.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There's a reason gem cards sell for a premium. They can't all be gems.

This.

For cards numbered that low, Topps may not have an exact replacement. Also from my own experience, it seems that Topps CS simply doesn't care about quality anymore, since the last few batches of cards with bad corners, edges, etc. that I sent in were replaced with cards that were barely any better (in some cases WORSE) - i.e. the replacements themselves were also damaged.

and this.

westerngac

Aug 1, 2011
Reno, NV

You seem to send a hell of a lot in for replacement, don't you?

Maybe you've built up a rep for yourself with their CS department as that pain-in-the-ass customer that soon gets placed on the pay-no-mind list...just sayin'...

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Mud- True and I wasn't expecting the card to be a gem but the damage is pretty significant enough for me to at least give a thought about asking for a replacement
cmnkb8- Thats the exact response I was expecting and then some. The last think I would want is a different card or one thats in even worse condition.
Thank You for the responses!

westerngac

Aug 1, 2011
Reno, NV
There's a reason gem cards sell for a premium. They can't all be gems.

I'm appalled at your cavalier attitude, don't you think everyone who gets a card with a soft corner is entitled to a Gem 10?

Have some decency, man......

OP, I think you should return it, and demand something Bryce Harper 1/5-ish as a replacement. It's only right.

For them to send you something like that Middlebrooks, well, it's a mockery of justice, that's what it is...

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A buddy of mine just called me and said that he was waiting on Topps to redeem his 2012 Heritage Red Ink Andy Pettitte auto so he requested a replacement. Got a 2011 Topps Heritage Blue Tint Bryce Harper Autograph #/25............ with a crease that runs from edge to edge. Card was secure in toploader and there were no creases on the mailer, so Topps had to have known it was damaged. So you aren't alone!

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I dont think you understand MFs humor.

RGriR.png

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!

Maybe you've built up a rep for yourself with their CS department as that pain-in-the-ass customer that soon gets placed on the pay-no-mind list...just sayin'...

Um, no.... why would you just assume that?

I've sent a total of 5 requests since the beginning of 2012. I typically wait until I have 25 cards to send a request. I've opened over $10K worth of Topps wax this year, so 5 requests of 25 cards is not a lot.

My last request was back in September. It was a mix of different baseball and football, cards that had obvious issues like noticeable chipped edges, warped/dinged corners, deep print lines, etc. Nearly all the cards that they sent as replacements, if you can call them that, exhibited similar flaws of varying degrees compared to the ones I sent in. I know they were different than the ones I sent them, since some of them had serial numbers.

Topps CS has either stopped caring, or their QA standards have really dropped. I would call to complain, but I won't bother since I know others who already have to no avail.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

You've promptly built a rep here as a pain-in-the-ass member who is on my pay-no-mind list.......

just sayin...

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
This thread is so full of fail...All thanks to Topps.

To the OP, if the card is PC I would just leave it be. Yeah, it's a bummer, but if you're not planning to resell and it's not complete destruction of the card, I'd just deal with it and leave it in the collection. If you're planning to resell it I would talk to Topps. That way, if you get the same card but in better condition, you just improved the resale value. If they replace it with something comparable, theoretically, you'll still be making money. Hope this helps and good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts