Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

James52411's 3000th Post Giveaway! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
In celebration of my 3000th post (and becoming a moderator) I'm giving away some goodies to my fellow members.

To enter, please post who your favorite member of either the 3000 Hit or 3000 Strikeout Club is. Feel free to explain why. Alternatively, you can post your favorite card of one of these players.

The grand price is this framed collectible from Topps featuring porcelain reprints of 12 of the greatest superstars of the modern era. Give Topps credit, if not for steroids, they'd have gone 12 for 12 on picking Hall of Famers. The only rule is that you have to post a picture of it hanging in your home after you win it.

IMAG0169.jpg

As they say on the game shows, that's not all! I enjoy building sets and would like to see more collectors involved in the hobby generally, so the following sets are up for grabs:
2011 Topps baseball set
1997 Donruss Elite baseball set
1999 Ultra baseball set
1990 Donruss baseball set
2006 UD F/X Cornerstones insert set

Since I am a big fan of 3-D and motion cards, here's a set and near set...
1997 Topps Screen Plays Near Set (17 of 20)
2010 Topps Update 20/20 3-D set

I also am a Cubs collector, so here's a couple of nice Cubbies singles:
2009 Bowman Chrome Starlin Castro RC
2009 Ultimate Collection Aramis Ramirez autograph jumbo jersey

Here's a photo of some of the other goodies described above:

IMAG0170.jpg

Ten different items means ten different winners. I will probably personally select some winners and use Random.org for others. Who knows, it is a giveaway, so there's no room to complain, right? :p

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
OK, I'll kick things off...

My favorite 3,000 hit member HAS to be Roberto Clemente! It saddens me to think of his death in an airplane accident on NYE, December 31, 1972... mind you, to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua! At the time of his death, we all know that he was sitting exactly on 3,000 hits! I think he was just a stand-up guy... awesome baesball player... good to the community... strong guy in the club house and can't think of anything but good thought when I think of Roberto Clemente.

As for a favorite card, has to be this (OBVIOUSLY not mine lol)...

a25304d1c974ba7f807d43863af31d8f.jpeg

gt5717b

Jun 6, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
Greg Maddux was definitely my favorite of the Braves pitchers during their dominant run of the 90s/2000s. He didni't rely on fastballs like some of the other strikeout kings, but utilized wicked change ups and pin point accuracy on the corners to ring up most of his 3,000+ Ks.

This isn't a Braves card, but it was my favorite of his that I owned. It came out the year he joined the Braves.
4d6bc707babb3_189853n.jpg

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
My favorite would be Bert Blyleven. The reason being, my very first Twins game that I ever went to back in 2002 he was outside on the Metrodome Plaza signing autographs. We had no clue who was signing but we hopped in line anyways. Sadly, the auto I got has since faded since I was a kid and didn't know any better. It was signed on my cheap ball glove and was near light for the majority of time

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
As a huge Yankees fan, it is too hard not to go with the Captain, Derek Jeter. Too many reasons to even state, but I'm glad that he keeps climbing the all-time list!

JAjpeg.jpg

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
James52411's 3000th Post Giveaway!

For this Mets fan, gotta be The Franchise, Tom Terrific, there could be no one else!!

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Greg Maddux. He was always masterfully accurate with his pitches. And, he was one of the few players who has returned a TTM (in only 6 days!).

madduxttmautograph.jpg

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
The man in my avatar.

Baseballs Big Train, Walter Johnson for 3,000 strikeouts.

for 3,000 hits...this guy...

stanmusialDK.jpg

Logan2500

May 21, 2012
PA

Pete Rose. He was still a great player and as a phillies phan it is hard to not really like him.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama

The Astros only have one member of the 3,000 hit club: Craig Biggio. Definitely my choice for favorite 3,000 hit club member. Sent his entire career in Houston, played 3 different positions for the club and he sure wasn't afraid to get hit by a pitch.

I also cannot remember watching any game he played and, by game's end, seeing a clean jersey.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

My favorite was Greg Maddux. I was crushed when he went to the Braves but got over it and enjoyed watching his pinpoint control and ability to make good hitters look downright silly without throwing serious heat.

My favorite card of his is this one because it has 2 of the greatest Cubs pitchers of all time

ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1356653752.814433.jpg

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
#8 Yaz!! One of my all-time favorites. Played entire 23 year career with the Sox and always played with passion and heart. Sad he never won it all.

Edit- big THANKS for the contest :D

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Sweet contest and congrats on the 3,000 and moderator promotion!

Mine has to be Willie Mays. Mays was my dad's favorite player growing up and is perhaps the best 5 tool player of all time. Griffey was my favorite player and, although he fell short on the all-time hits due to injury, they seemed to have a lot of similarities. As much as I hate the Angels, I'm really excited to watch and see if Trout can follow in their footsteps.

Favorite 3000 hit guy-Clemente
Favorite 3000 K guy-Nolan Ryan

I saw Nolan strike out Dick Schofield for his 300th K in 1989. Clemente was just a guy I never got to see play but respected the man for his off the field generosity.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
My favorite is Cal Ripken Jr, I grew up an orioles fan and watched him play the game the way I invision a leader playing it. Coming to the ballpark everyday ready to go to work. I still believe that Cal singlehandedly brought the fans back to baseball after the strike had crippled the game from a fans perspective. All tuned in to watch a record for the ages go by the wayside those two magical nights in Baltimore. I have collected the Ironman because of who he is and what he meant to the game.
From my collection-
scan111011.jpg

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
Got to go with Bob Gibson. The card below I got signed in the early 1980's when I was 7 or 8 years old. My dad took me to my first card show at that time and I got to meet Mr. Gibson for the first time. I didn't have anything to get signed so my dad found this card from one of the dealers that was set up. The card was beat up when we got it, but it is still the one card in my collection that I will never part with.

Bob-Gibson-1971-Topps-signed-PSADNA.jpg

trolea1234

Aug 7, 2008

My favorite would be Nolan Ryan. I was lucky enough to watch him pitch. The man was tough as hell. I remember watching the games where he beat up robin Ventura ( that was awesome) he just waited and put Ventura in a headlock an began to pound him upside the head. And the game where he got hit in the nose by a line drive and kept on pitching, busted nose and all. You dont see that much now a days. The man has records that will never be broken.

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Fantastic responses so far! Many of the posts are interesting to read and there have been some very cool cards posted too.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Cal Ripken Jr

I always collected him as a kid. I would blindly send cards to some woman in a Tuff Stuff classified ad and one time she sent back a 82 Fleer Ripken rc!

Members online

Latest posts