Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Draft MLB Network Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
In regards to all the Austin Meadows talk lately, here is the MLB Network segment on the 2013 MLB Draft for those who want to see it. Surprisingly, Meadows isn't one of the three players featured, but is mentioned as potentially the top high school prospect towards the end.

[video]http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25536755&topic_id=7417714[/video]

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jim Callis' newest Ask BA column just came out today, with an updated Draft order:

First Round
1. Astros
2. Cubs
3. Rockies
4. Twins
5. Indians
6. Marlins
7. Red Sox
8. Royals
9. Pirates (for failure to sign 2012 first-rounder Mark Appel)
10. Blue Jays
11. Mets
12. Mariners
13. Padres
14. Pirates
15. Diamondbacks
16. Phillies
17. Brewers
18. White Sox
19. Dodgers
20. Cardinals
21. Tigers
xx. Angels (forfeited No. 22 pick for free agent Josh Hamilton)
22. Rays
23. Orioles
24. Rangers
25. Athletics
26. Giants
xx. Braves (forfeited No. 28 pick for free agent B.J. Upton)
27. Yankees
28. Reds
29. Nationals
xx. Cardinals (potential pick for free agent Kyle Lohse)
30. Rays (for Upton)
31. Rangers (for Hamilton)
xx. Braves (potential pick for free agent Michael Bourn)
32. Yankees (for free agent Nick Swisher)
xx. Yankees (potential pick for free agent Rafael Soriano)
xx. Nationals (potential pick for free agent Adam LaRoche)

Supplemental First Round (Competitive-Balance Lottery Picks)
33. Royals
34. Marlins (acquired from Pirates)
35. Diamondbacks
36. Orioles
37. Reds
38. Tigers (acquired from Marlins)

Second-Round Changes
xx. Indians (forfeited No. 43 pick for Swisher)

Supplemental Second Round (Competitive-Balance Lottery Picks)
68. Padres
69. Indians
70. Rockies
71. Athletics
72. Brewers
73. Marlins (acquired from Tigers)

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
Can someone please point me in the right direction on how the 1st round picks work? I don't understand the additions and subtractions part. Like why do the Braves give up a 1st round pick for getting Upton, but the Indians only have to give up a 2nd for Swisher. I do not get it.

WaxPax

The quick answer is because the Indians first round pick (Top 10 are protected) is protected while the Braves is not.

Can someone please point me in the right direction on how the 1st round picks work? I don't understand the additions and subtractions part. Like why do the Braves give up a 1st round pick for getting Upton, but the Indians only have to give up a 2nd for Swisher. I do not get it.

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
The quick answer is because the Indians first round pick (Top 10 are protected) is protected while the Braves is not.

Thank you, that does help. But surely not EVERY player lost/ gained to free agency requires a draft pick change does it?

WaxPax

Beginning this year the players former team had to make a "Qualifying Offer " for 2013 of 13M. If the team makes the offer and the player declines the offer, then when that player signs with a new team, his former team is compensated. If the team fails to make a qualifying offer, then there is no compensation. This is the quick and dirty answer, there is more to it....

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
That is what I needed to know! Thanks. I just couldn't figure out what made that work. As with most things in this life... its money that makes it work.

Members online

Latest posts