Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silky

Dec 31, 2012
Australia
Hi all,

I am new here(posted in introductions also).

Collected baseball back in 93 & 94 and then on and off since then.

I collect;
-Tony gwynn(have been lurking the TG thread).
-jeter, bonds, Sosa, Thomas, A Soriano, and a few others, all in smaller quantities.

I am in Australia, so I also collect;
-bradman
-modern cricket, nrl, a-league
-early 1900s cricket tobacco cards

It will be nice to talk with fellow collectors.

I will kick off with a question;
Back in 93, I pulled this card(see pic) from 92 UD pack and can't find it in any checklists atm. Can anyone identify this card for me(sorry if it is a common/easy to identify)

It is a pirates hologram with a blank back.

Thank you.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1357003762.601937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1357003762.601937.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 84

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
It's a holographic sticker that they included in packs back then. I remember seeing all the various teams and an AL and NL logo sticker as well.

They are interesting, but have no real value.

Welcome to the site.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
Welcome to the boards!

I can't find it right now but I have a George Tribe cricket card from, I believe, 50s/60s. Was he good?

Silky

Dec 31, 2012
Australia
Welcome to the boards!

I can't find it right now but I have a George Tribe cricket card from, I believe, 50s/60s. Was he good?

Thank you all.

I see the pirates hologram listed as 1991 UD, but can't find any 1992 listings and thought it was weird to see 1992 and a blank back. No worries though, it looks quite common.

Mantmaris - unfortunately George Tribe only played 3 games for Australia in 1946 - 47. Not a star player. As a consolation, he played in the same team as the greatest cricketer ever, Don Bradman, who retired in 1948. Much like baseball, card production was halted during WW2, so your card could be from 1948 onwards. No tobacco cards issued after WW2. Hope that helps.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank you all.

I see the pirates hologram listed as 1991 UD, but can't find any 1992 listings and thought it was weird to see 1992 and a blank back. No worries though, it looks quite common.

Mantmaris - unfortunately George Tribe only played 3 games for Australia in 1946 - 47. Not a star player. As a consolation, he played in the same team as the greatest cricketer ever, Don Bradman, who retired in 1948. Much like baseball, card production was halted during WW2, so your card could be from 1948 onwards. No tobacco cards issued after WW2. Hope that helps.

I found a listing of the card on eBay. It sold for a whole $1.60 but I would keep it anyway. You don't get much cricket up here and it is in really nice shape. It's a 1959 A&BC #33. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Welcome aboard! Can't say I know a single about cricket but any old tobacco cards are awesome (I have a few of dog breeds myself lol) so don't be shy about sharing those! Nice to see collectors from around the globe! Australia the home of one Dave Nilsson!

Silky

Dec 31, 2012
Australia
Welcome aboard! Can't say I know a single about cricket but any old tobacco cards are awesome (I have a few of dog breeds myself lol) so don't be shy about sharing those! Nice to see collectors from around the globe! Australia the home of one Dave Nilsson!

Gwynn545 - I don't have nearly as much as you and padresfan, but will show when I get some more. I will also post what I do have in the TG thread.

Brewer Andy - you know Nilsson! Only Aussie to have played in the MLB all star game. Coincidentally, I am breaking a box of 1995 ABL baseball (Australian baseball league)and pulled a Dave Nilsson #/3000. Lmk if you want his base.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
And fellow Brewer Graeme Lloyd. I had traded a bunch of cards of Aussies with a fellow from Australia I met via Beckett years back. Still have a box set aside of other Aussies--mostly mid-late 90's, some 2000's--just in case. Welcocme aboard!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
two former minor leaguers - Hickory Crawdads - are there - Adam Forbes - coach in Sydney and Shane Spry coach West. Aust. National youuth league . Small world

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
And fellow Brewer Graeme Lloyd. I had traded a bunch of cards of Aussies with a fellow from Australia I met via Beckett years back. Still have a box set aside of other Aussies--mostly mid-late 90's, some 2000's--just in case. Welcocme aboard!

Wasn't Luke Hughes an Australian as well ? I know the Twins have had a few in the minors (maybe one around 2000 that was suppose to pan out, but didn't) but I swear Hughes or someone of that sort was.

Members online

Latest posts