Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Very interesting info on 96 donruss sig series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I love reading back issues from hobby press, reading a December '96 beckett now & came upon this article on the development of the first ever bb autograph per pack product.

Ill just list the interesting points.

The players were contacted during spring training '96 & had to sign affidavit saying their autos will be real.

Will clark was the first to return his cards, signing then while on the dl.

Tim salmon destroyed 100 of his cards as shaving cream got on them (they were replaced).

Mlbpa suggested having parallels of the autos (gold, silver, bronze stamps) while donruss originally wanted different colored inks.

Dennis martinez smashed about 100 cards by mistake & mark leiter left $200 canadian currency in the box he returned with the cards. That was meal money he packed by mistake.

Indians pitcher julian taveras didn't want to ship the autos himself so he called donruss & said "im at the doubletree california, come pick them up."

Problem was california is pretty big & he never left the city.

Otis nixon never returned his cards, they were stolen from his car. A few cards were already signed though.

Will clark was the first to return his cards, doing them while on the dl.

Brett butler couldn't return them because of his cancer treatment & apologized,"the ultimate show of class."

And hows this....

Those who missed the deadline, or didn't sign as many as contacted for, were dropped.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Interesting on the dropped thing and replacing damaged cards. I wonder what has changed in the industry the manufacturers can't go back to these policies.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
according to Basecallcardpedia.com, yes:

"Seven players (designated with an "*" in the checklist below) did not return their autographs to Donruss in time for the release of Signature Series. Six of those cards were randomly inserted into packs of Extended Series. The seventh player, Otis Nixon, never bothered to return his cards; however, some Nixon Autographs have surfaced on the secondary market."

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Brett Butler couldn't return them because of his cancer treatment & apologized, "the ultimate show of class."
First time I have ever heard about this. Makes me feel even better about the guy I collect. Just one more reason (albeit a pretty insignificant one) that cancer sucks, though. I coulda had a few more autos to chase.

Jun 30, 2010
I assume you are actually referring to the 1996 Leaf Signature. That is the product that has the Otis Nixon Card....For whatever reason Nixon did not get these cards sent to Donruss/Leaf. I was the original finder of these cards. I bought the contents of a storage unit that belonged to Nixon that was auctioned off in the Atlanta area. In the bottom of a suitcase were the Nixon Autograph cards. I originally sold these cards for about 15 dollars each until realizing that NONE ever made it back to Donruss. When word of these NON-EXISTING cards made it into Beckett then the prices took off. I had sold these for as high as 160.00 each. They now book for 100.00. Imagine 100.00 for a Otis Nixon Autograph!!!!! I have no more available however. Just wanted to set the record straight...Bryan

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
It just occurred to me - these Nixon cards had been sitting out there unsigned and they get found. Butler "couldn't return (his) because of his cancer treatment." So what did he end up doing with them? Throw them away? Did he keep them all?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I assume you are actually referring to the 1996 Leaf Signature. That is the product that has the Otis Nixon Card....For whatever reason Nixon did not get these cards sent to Donruss/Leaf. I was the original finder of these cards. I bought the contents of a storage unit that belonged to Nixon that was auctioned off in the Atlanta area. In the bottom of a suitcase were the Nixon Autograph cards. I originally sold these cards for about 15 dollars each until realizing that NONE ever made it back to Donruss. When word of these NON-EXISTING cards made it into Beckett then the prices took off. I had sold these for as high as 160.00 each. They now book for 100.00. Imagine 100.00 for a Otis Nixon Autograph!!!!! I have no more available however. Just wanted to set the record straight...Bryan

How'd they wind up in Nixon's storage unit after they were stolen from him?

Jun 30, 2010
I know nothing about the cards being so called stolen. If they were then they never made it out into the market. The only cards that made it into the market were the cards that came from me. No others have ever surfaced before mine which was, I believe about 5 years ago. I have a close idea of how many exist. That is why they are the price that they are. Knowing about some of Nixon's personal challenges that have been reported in the Atlanta Journal Constitution I wouldn't be surprised if he threw them away. Speculation of course!!!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How'd they wind up in Nixon's storage unit after they were stolen from him?

Again knowing Nixon's personal struggles, I'm sure its just as likely he never signed them and instead of just saying he didnt feel like completing his agreement just fabricated the "stolen from my car" story. Looks like DLP tried to replace other cards for damage or loss but for some reason didn't try to for Nixon (whether it was too late to bother or they didn't exactly believe his excuse and want to bother).

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Again knowing Nixon's personal struggles, I'm sure its just as likely he never signed them and instead of just saying he didnt feel like completing his agreement just fabricated the "stolen from my car" story. Looks like DLP tried to replace other cards for damage or loss but for some reason didn't try to for Nixon (whether it was too late to bother or they didn't exactly believe his excuse and want to bother).

Or maybe a few were in the car, and a few weren't. It said some were already signed. Maybe the ones in the car weren't even signed yet.

Members online

Latest posts