Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upton blocks a deal to the Mariners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
The Mariners had a deal in place and Upton blocked it.

WOW, the D-backs top end pitching prospects would have been insane after a trade with the M's.

skrip

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I just don't see why AZ took the time to construct this deal, knowing Seattle was on his no-trade list.

As are the Cubs, Blue Jays and Red Sox.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
"The deal would have sent three or four players back to Arizona, according to CBSSports.com sources. Included among those players would have been relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and, likely, one of three minor-league starting pitching prospects: Right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefty James Paxton or lefty Danny Hultzen."

Justin Upton rejects Mariners deal, still could be short-timer in Arizona - CBSSports.com

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Good, hopefully now Jack can make a serious run at Stanton. I would literally give up all of the big three for Giancarlo.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Good, hopefully now Jack can make a serious run at Stanton. I would literally give up all of the big three for Giancarlo.

Not trying to disrespect you, but that is why you aren't a GM. The mariners have enough in the system to land two high end all star players. I bet NEARLY the same deal could land Stanton.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Not trying to disrespect you, but that is why you aren't a GM. The mariners have enough in the system to land two high end all star players. I bet NEARLY the same deal could land Stanton.

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see Jack turn around and offer the same deal to Miami for Stanton ... maybe even throw in Carp or Wells if needed.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Usually a players' no trade list include teams they want to be on.

"Often, players include high-revenue teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs in no-trade protection, thinking that those organizations are better positioned to offer financial inducements in an effort to convince the player to waive the clause."

So its hard to say whether Upton doesnt want to be in Seattle or wasnt enticed enough to go.

This deal would have favored the Dbacks currently since Upton's stock seems to have fallen recently but I think that is because of the team's desire to constantly dangle him out for trades.

Short story: Upton doesnt want to play here anymore.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Count your lucky stars this trade didn't happen, M's fans.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
it was Taijuan Walker who was the big player in agreed-upon trade that upton rejected. so walker, franklin plus 2 more. Walker, a hard-throwing righthander who's just 20, is1 of the very best prospects in baseball. stays w/ m's. offer of Taijuan Walker, Franklin plus 2 for @JUS10UP10 shows how badly #mariners want hitter. scout on TW: "REALLY good''

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Even though Walker was the biggest name in the deal, Nick Franklin was more than likely the Dbacks main target.

Towers has stated numerous times that he wants to acquire a young SS along the likes of Profar or Andrus.

Why? I'm not 100% sure since he gave up Bauer for Gregorius but he still mentions in local interviews that he wants another young SS.

Obviously Franklin alone is not enough to get Upton so they asked for one of Paxton/Hultzen/Walker and the M's chose to give Walker along with (reportedly) Furbush and Pryor

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Dbacks work on an Upton to Oakland deal with Grant Green coming to AZ.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
We dodged a bullet. Taijuan for Upton is just too much. Not to mention the other valuable pieces that were packaged with him. As desperate as we are for a slugger, Upton would have become the new Bedard albatross and the M's would have once again mortgaged their future on a player not likely to ever best his past success.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better, M's fans. So let's enjoy the Seahawks ride and root for the Kings to lose out!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
{Dan Bickley, Arizona Republic}

It’s not as telling as Joe Paterno’s statue being hauled off Penn State’s campus.

But removing the Uptown signs from Chase Field?

Farewell, Justin. It’s been interesting.

With two new pieces of information, it’s clear the Diamondbacks have no intention of renewing their vows with Upton, former prodigy and No. 1 draft pick.

Upton vetoed a deal that would’ve sent him to Seattle, increasing the tension between the two parties. That came after Arizona Sports 620′s John Gambadoro tweeted the following gem:

“Uptown signs coming down at Chase! Don’t read anything into it, was something agreed to at end of season by both parties…"

Great scoop. But to the contrary, you can read everything into that gesture, one that illustrates how impossible it is for Upton to be a member of the Diamondbacks in 2013.

After three years on the trading block, Upton’s relationship with the manager, the fans and the team hierarchy is irreparably broken. The acrimony is obvious, especially if both parties actually agreed to remove the “Uptown” sign in right field, which will rank as the second most premature gesture in Valley history.

The first belongs to the Suns, who imported “Trophy Guy” to US Airways Center before reaching the NBA Finals.

But here’s the problem: The Diamondbacks have a logjam of outfielders. Even with Kevin Tower’s best poker face, other clubs know that Upton and the Diamondbacks need to end their relationship. Each considers the other a major disappointment, and each needs liberation from the past.

Yet the vetoed trade also means they can’t possibly bring Upton to spring training, where pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Feb 11. At this point, he would be a major distraction.

That must hurt the club’s leverage, who have Diamond-backed themselves into a corner with Upton, who will likely leave with bad feelings, highly motivated to be a superstar elsewhere.

Let’s see how Towers gets out of this jam

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
And so begins the ugly divorce of Upton from the D-Backs.

On a side note: Bickley and Gambo are the worst things to happen to sports radio since Ron Wolfley. I feel bad for AZ sports fans. Likely the real reason Upton wants out.

Latest posts