Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Deck SP on the way...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Threebboyz

Jan 7, 2013
Hey all...

Just saw Upper Deck SP Authentic football is coming out soon...

Looking back through the years of popular rookies on Ebay time and time again I see the SP Authentics going for premium dollars for great players... though after rejoining the hobby recently after my exodus in 1995 (which was all retail based).. I've since learned of some major scandals and licensing revoking that occurred with the Upper Deck franchise.

What are your opinions on the current state of the Upper Deck SP Authentic line as it relates to football and baseball? I see the SP authentic baseball boxes have plummeted lately from their release price and I'm wondering if they are truly as collectible as they once were when they made The Derek Jeter rookie among countless others.

Is The Upper Deck SP Authentic line worth it anymore in those two specific sports? This rookie class is epic and I'd hate to miss out on pulling the next great rookie card but at the same time, I've had plenty of luck staying away from UD since I rejoined the hobby and have pulled some really nice things so far.

Thanks!

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I used to look forward to playoff time when the two biggies would come out..contenders and SPA. I think even after exquisite took its place as THE RC to own, SPA
still was sought after, maybe even more. Those beautiful rookie autographs numbered as low as 299 and 99, where really the rookie card currency.

I think today the cards are still nice, but the college cards just don't command a premium like the older SPA did. Sure they were only photo shoot jersey cut up, but those
cards were some of the nicest out there. Now when I go to the card shop I have to wonder how many dead end redemptions I am going to pull in a product. I would love
for UD to tell us how much is live (and if Russ Wilson is live), in the product BEFORE it hits. That might make a difference for me.

Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Upper Deck has done a great job with the rebranding of their products on the collegiate level. From what I have seen, many people really like the SPA rookie patch autos even in their college uni's.

I would still buy into the product. Hands down. I think there is enough there to satisfy collectors.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
I love this set. Even though I am probably one of the few guys who prefers my colleges players in their pro jerseys.

That said he one great thing about college cards is the jersey won't change every free agency period.

I love this set as well!

SP Authentic still commands the same premium that it did with the NFL jerseys IMO.

Hell all the NFL jerseys were just premiere jerseys, they were never worn in a game just at a photo shoot where they put on a jersey for 5 seconds and then took it off and put on another one.

At least with the college jerseys they have a Better chance of being game worn or practice worn or something. Plus, like mentioned above, a players college never changes unlike how a player may bounce from NFL team to NFL team.

At first I wasn't a huge fan of switching to college, but now I'm all for it. It's a nice change and I really enjoy SPA with or without the NFL license.

To the OP you can't really compare baseball to football SPA. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Football SPA is and always has been more popular. I don't see SPA football going anywhere anytime soon. It will always hold strong value in the hobby IMO.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
so UD hasn't bought off college equipment managers to get the jerseys?

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I like this year's a LOT better than last year's offering, especially the SP-throwback autos. Makes me wish that Iowa could produce an offensive player good enough to warrant an RPA. Shonn Greene came a long just a hair too early.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I used to look forward to playoff time when the two biggies would come out..contenders and SPA. I think even after exquisite took its place as THE RC to own, SPA
still was sought after, maybe even more. Those beautiful rookie autographs numbered as low as 299 and 99, where really the rookie card currency.

I think today the cards are still nice, but the college cards just don't command a premium like the older SPA did. Sure they were only photo shoot jersey cut up, but those
cards were some of the nicest out there. Now when I go to the card shop I have to wonder how many dead end redemptions I am going to pull in a product. I would love
for UD to tell us how much is live (and if Russ Wilson is live), in the product BEFORE it hits. That might make a difference for me.

Kevin

Straight from the Upper Deck Blog:

2012-SP-Authentic-Football-Autograph-Rookie-Patch-Parallel-Russell-Wilson.jpg

Looks like Danger might be live, in the product.

Threebboyz

Jan 7, 2013
Thats a pretty sick card.. I just dont have unlimited funds so I was deciding to go with a bix of SPA or a box of prizm football coming out soon and a jumbo hta box of topps 2013 baseball... The SPA would eliminate one of those boxes so i was getting everyones opinion to help weigh pros and cons.

Really like to panini prizms.. Seem to have great secondary mrkt value and 2013 topps just because I love topps baseball.. and i try to do set building when the cards are cheap enough..

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I think Prizm is going to really surprise people. Some may blow it off as a Chrome knock off, which makes sense, but from what I've seen, they look really nice.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
I think Prizm is going to really surprise people. Some may blow it off as a Chrome knock off, which makes sense, but from what I've seen, they look really nice.

It does look nice, but I think people that think the Golds are going to bring in crazy $$$ are in for a surprise.

Football collectors aren't as dumb as basketball collectors and pay an ungodly sum of money for a refractor lol. I could be dead wrong but most football collectors like autos or game used. Basketball collectors go crazy over PMGs, Emeralds and those prizm golds.

It might be hot right out of the gate, but I just don't see the refractors holding a long term value like basketball ones do.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
It does look nice, but I think people that think the Golds are going to bring in crazy $$$ are in for a surprise.

Football collectors aren't as dumb as basketball collectors and pay an ungodly sum of money for a refractor lol. I could be dead wrong but most football collectors like autos or game used. Basketball collectors go crazy over PMGs, Emeralds and those prizm golds.

It might be hot right out of the gate, but I just don't see the refractors holding a long term value like basketball ones do.

I guess I wasn't looking at it from an investing standpoint, but more of an adding cool looking cards to my collection standpoint. It'll be interesting to watch, though - I haven't been this curious about a Panini product since they bought out Donruss.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Just got confirmation from Upper Deck that the checklist will be out tomorrow!!!

Excited to see if there will be any surprises in the RPAs. It would be cool if Alfred Morris got one but I doubt it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts