Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on a project I have in mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Not sure if anyone here remembers this or is has an interest in old sports card publications, but once upon a time there was a book issued yearly by hobby pioneer Bob Jasperson called "Who's Who in Card Collecting". It was basically a directory containing information on collectors and their specific interests, including contact information.

I know in many facets of our life, print is indeed dead. However, I think there are some niches in which a paper publications are useful - directories being one of them. Especially in a hobby that is as segmented and spread out as ours. Collectors are on different forums - some of them on multiple, some of them on just one. Some don't even belong to forums. Some don't even utilize the internet.

What are your opinions on something like this? Would you be interested? Would you be willing to publisize personal information? How about if you could restrict that information in the publication?

If you think its a horrible idea, why? I want all opinions.

Thanks!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If I was a thief, I'd be purchasing this publication for the personal information.

With the vast amount of electronic information out there, that info plus a publication like this to me would be a recipe for disaster.

That said, even a cursory search online could direct others to any desired specific segment. If I want to collect green Matchbox cars (E), I can do a google search and probably direct myself to others with similar interests.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
If I was a thief, I'd be purchasing this publication for the personal information.

With the vast amount of electronic information out there, that info plus a publication like this to me would be a recipe for disaster.

QUOTE]

This aspect of your statement is intriguing. Are you saying that we live in a different kind of society than we did back when Jasperson was printing his directory complete with addresses, and in some cases, phone numbers? I know cards have more secondary value than in the 40's-70's - so I do see your point there. What if this directory was not specific down to what a person has in there collection, rather it contained what they collected - acertain player, team or set.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA

QUOTE]

This aspect of your statement is intriguing. Are you saying that we live in a different kind of society than we did back when Jasperson was printing his directory complete with addresses, and in some cases, phone numbers? I know cards have more secondary value than in the 40's-70's - so I do see your point there. What if this directory was not specific down to what a person has in there collection, rather it contained what they collected - acertain player, team or set.

I don't know about you but I really wouldn't want to be in a database with my address and phone number available to anybody that wants it. It's like telling the entire world, hey I live here and I have this, this, this, and this in my collection. Come rob me!
Maybe a database with my email addy and what I collect but not all my personal details.
I have my town in my profile here and I probably shouldn't even have that I suppose....

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't know about you but I really wouldn't want to be in a database with my address and phone number available to anybody that wants it. It's like telling the entire world, hey I live here and I have this, this, this, and this in my collection. Come rob me!
Maybe a database with my email addy and what I collect but not all my personal details.
I have my town in my profile here and I probably shouldn't even have that I suppose....
like say, a phonebook?

Members online

Latest posts