Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card shows and cash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
I imagine it does differ between shows but do dealers at most shows accept cards (debit)? I have never been to a card show so I have no idea what to expect. Am I ok bringing just card and some cash or should I plan on bringing just cash but more of it? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'd just bring extra Cash. Most dealers don't want a paper trail and also offer better prices for Cash in hand...

There are ways that you can have a very small business and take Credit cards. Smartphone apps and attachments, etc. But most Dealers at small shows especially are NOT going to use those.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
At the ones I attend, most will take debit but will offer you a smaller discount for cash.

This isnt a common practice though, so bring cash.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
If you do a CC transaction, you might be liable for sales tax. Don't go to the National and use a credit card, you will pay a Rosemont village tax, and maybe others such as state tax.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
If you do a CC transaction, you might be liable for sales tax. Don't go to the National and use a credit card, you will pay a Rosemont village tax, and maybe others such as state tax.

The payment method has nothing to do with whether sales tax is applied to a purchase. Sales tax varies by state but typically is applied when you purchase something in person. You pay sales tax when the entity/business you are purchasing from has nexus (a physical presence) in the state where the items are purchased (or will be delivered).

Not sure whether a dealer from state A, who sets up at a show in state B, has to collect sales tax.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A lot of people don't think about this, but if you have the Paypal app on your smartphone, you can offer to send them Paypal right there on the spot. I started doing that at my LCS, I would just send him Paypal gift from right there in his store so he could avoid CC fees.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
At the Cdn National maybe only one or two larger sellers accept credit cards. There is usually one of those portable ATM's on site during the show but the service fee is high and a couple of times the machine was empty by the end of the second day.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
At the Sun-Times show most of the dealers accepted debit/credit. If it's a smaller show I wouldn't count on it. PayPal is also an option as stated above, I did see dealers with PayPal signs. But cash is your best bet. Odds of getting discounted price with cash is much higher.

Members online

Latest posts