Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Warning: EBAY RANT re: STUPID seller ( booth7076 )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Warning:

Emotional, pissed off rant. After I get this out, I'll feel better.

First off... why in the world would you buy someone who is offering you money for your stupid pictures of baseball players?

There is a particular seller who has a particular card of a player I'm interested in. The card goes on eBay for $2.50 - $3. His price was $19.99, BO. He had 18 of them. Because there was a good quantity, I offered ABOVE market, $4 each.

The offer was denied.

Okay . . . I decided that perhaps he didn't know what the market was, and it was still worth more to me to get them all at once, so I made another offer at $4.50 -- a $9 total increase, and added a line indicating that, "I'm not sure if you know the current market, but these sell for less than $3. If you're interested in selling at slightly above (150%) market, I'm interested in buying. If not, thanks for your time."

I was already blocked from my $4/card (133% of market) offer.

XXXX you, booth7076 -- take your XXXXing cards and shove them up your XXXXing ass. You're an idiot, a moron, and you have no idea as to how to do business.

/rant

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
XXXX happens. No use in getting mad over something like this. Think of it this way, he just saved you some money.

Agreed. I'm not upset about the cards; I'll get them somewhere else. It's just amazing to me that someone with 3000 auctions feels the need to block someone and prevent future sales (I have almost 6000 feedback) because the offer is too low for their tastes, but ABOVE what the market value is!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As a general principle, if I see a seller with a BIN that is more than 6X what current market value is, I steer clear.

Just saying.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
As a general principle, if I see a seller with a BIN that is more than 6X what current market value is, I steer clear.

Just saying.

And I've had luck with getting others down from $100 to $30 (yes, I know that's less than 3x, but...)

Honestly, deny my offer. Don't even make a response if you don't want to. But blocking a potential buyer is just flat out stupid.

So I ask, if you've read this far -- if you're someone who blocks bidders for what you perceive to be a low offer -- WHY do you do it?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'll block a bidder if they are offering a small fraction of current market value more than once. Suppose I have a $100 BIN/BO listing and the item sells for $75. I receive an offer for $10. I decline or perhaps counter at $80, and probably explain my counter. I receive a second offer of $20. At that point, I block the buyer because I don't want to waste my time on someone who is either too cheap or ignorant to offer anything remotely close to market value.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I'll block a bidder if they are offering a small fraction of current market value more than once. Suppose I have a $100 BIN/BO listing and the item sells for $75. I receive an offer for $10. I decline or perhaps counter at $80, and probably explain my counter. I receive a second offer of $20. At that point, I block the buyer because I don't want to waste my time on someone who is either too cheap or ignorant to offer anything remotely close to market value.

1) You can only get one more bid from the guy.
2) Is it that hard to ignore the 3rd offer?
3) He MAY come up to your way of seeing things at a later date
4) He may want other items that you'll sell next week, next month, or next year.

I just don't see a reasonable, legitimate reason to block a serious buyer, who is offering ANY amount of money for your cards.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
1) You can only get one more bid from the guy.
2) Is it that hard to ignore the 3rd offer?
3) He MAY come up to your way of seeing things at a later date
4) He may want other items that you'll sell next week, next month, or next year.

I just don't see a reasonable, legitimate reason to block a serious buyer, who is offering ANY amount of money for your cards.

I think our disagreement is over what constitutes a "serious" buyer. I get your point about keeping all avenues open, but I'm not a big fan of hobby shenanigans and there is value for me in not having to deal with them.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I think our disagreement is over what constitutes a "serious" buyer. I get your point about keeping all avenues open, but I'm not a big fan of hobby shenanigans and there is value for me in not having to deal with them.

I'd like to think that people change their buying attitude depending upon the need or desire for the card. For example, every card in your signature I have little interest in. However, if I were to get it cheaply, I'm much more interested. If there was a card I really wanted, I'd offer more.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009

100% agree. The reasonable, legitimate reason is that I value my time more than someone like this buyer does, so not having to deal with them is of great value to me. I don't see how anyone would consider the buyer in this example to be "serious". That said, I would not have blocked a buyer who did what you did in your example above.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
I block bidders that tell me what I should sell it at and for bidders that send multiple low ball offers.
Its my cards..ect, so its up to me what I want to do.

Members online

Latest posts