Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting way for a seller to leave negative feedback.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Let me start by saying that this has happened to me on one occasion, but the "seller" never paid, so I was safe.

I bought a card. Card was in an off brand holder, graded 8.5. I didn't care about the grade, wanted the card. Description mentioned the card was gem mint. Got the card. The picture hid an obvious defect (major printing dimple) in the card. eMailed the seller, he indicated that he would offer a refund. While I appreciated that, I still wanted the card, so I indicated that I would simply leave the appropriate feedback. Before I did, he hit my last remaining BIN (all of my items had run) and paid.

So, I was GOING to leave a neutral based on his deceptive picture taking and description. Now, essentially, I'm blocked because he'll leave me a negative.

I could probably call eBay -- last time this happened (I never got the item, left negative feedback, and then he bought a $500 card and never paid) eBay was unable to help until the feedback was actually left.

I don't want to risk them NOT helping, so I won't leave feedback. I'm waiting for a chargeback from him. Interestingly, this guy sells virtually nothing but these off brand graded cards and has his own business cards that he included in the package. It's a low class, scummy thing to do.

Moral of the story - if you intent to leave negative or neutral feedback, add the person to your blocked buyer list.

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You bought a card, weren't happy with it, the seller worked it out with you, but instead you just said "Ah, screw it. I'll just leave you negative feedback. Thanks for working with me."?

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Did he pay for the item he bought from you? If he doesn't pay, just wait 4 days and open NPB so he can't neg you. Then block and leave him fb him for original item.

Or am I missing something?

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
You bought a card, weren't happy with it, the seller worked it out with you, but instead you just said "Ah, screw it. I'll just leave you negative feedback. Thanks for working with me."?

If I understand Jeff correctly, seller seems to have intentionally hid an obvious defect. I agree that he deserves a neutral for that whether or not he tried to make it right after the fact.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

1. I never said I was going to leave negative. Please review what you read.
2. I never left any feedback.
3. I wanted the card as it was described, or the card should have been described appropriately.
4. The seller's deceptive trade practices warranted at best a neutral. A neutral because he attempted to work it out. A negative otherwise.

The focus is not what my thoughts were; the focus is the fact that this particular seller hit a BIN and paid for it in an attempt to leave retaliation feedback.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I think the moral of this story is if you want a gem mint card by a name brand grading companyy get one from them, not an off shoot. I always expect the worst with them. Whats next? I am mad the card in the GEM holder is trimmed and I want a bgs 10 cause the seller says pristine 10?

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Did he pay for the item he bought from you? If he doesn't pay, just wait 4 days and open NPB so he can't neg you. Then block and leave him fb him for original item.

Or am I missing something?

Nope; paid immediately. WHen this happened the first time (no item received, left negative FB), the seller/buyer hit BINs but never paid.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
1. I never said I was going to leave negative. Please review what you read.
2. I never left any feedback.
3. I wanted the card as it was described, or the card should have been described appropriately.
4. The seller's deceptive trade practices warranted at best a neutral. A neutral because he attempted to work it out. A negative otherwise.

The focus is not what my thoughts were; the focus is the fact that this particular seller hit a BIN and paid for it in an attempt to leave retaliation feedback.

I thought the card was graded? Do you normally buy graded cards and act like they are raw? And clearly your intention was to leave negative or neutral feedback AFTER the did everything he had to do. You deserve the recourse by the seller. You don't be cool with people, why should they be cool to you.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I thought the card was graded? Do you normally buy graded cards and act like they are raw? And clearly your intention was to leave negative or neutral feedback AFTER the did everything he had to do. You deserve the recourse by the seller. You don't be cool with people, why should they be cool to you.

The seller described the card as "gem mint" in the description and apparently did something deceptive in the listing photo to hide an obvious defect. Seems you're letting preconceived opinions of Jeff cloud your opinion.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Not to defend Jeff because he can do it himself but what the heck are you talking about? Go back and read what Jeff and others wrote because if I was in his position, I would have left a neutral as well.

Stop being ignorant and letting your feelings of past issues get in the way of judging this issue on it's merits.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The seller described the card as "gem mint" in the description and apparently did something deceptive in the listing photo to hide an obvious defect. Seems you're letting preconceived opinions of Jeff cloud your opinion.

He said "Card was in an off brand holder, graded 8.5."

Who cares what the seller says the condition is.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Not to defend Jeff because he can do it himself but what the heck are you talking about? Go back and read what Jeff and others wrote because if I was in his position, I would have left a neutral as well.

Stop being ignorant and letting your feelings of past issues get in the way of judging this issue on it's merits.

Oh get off it. I have nothing against Jeff. This situation just comes off as a highly entitled buyer playing games with a seller who tried to work the situation out.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
He said "Card was in an off brand holder, graded 8.5."

Who cares what the seller says the condition is.

Key term there is "off brand". You trust the opinions of GMA or FGS grading? It's still the sellers responsibility to accurately describe the card, or at least not offer an inaccurate description, AND to provide an UNaltered photo.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Key term there is "off brand". You trust the opinions of GMA or FGS grading? It's still the sellers responsibility to accurately describe the card, or at least not offer an inaccurate description, AND to provide an UNaltered photo.

I would if they graded it an 8.5, considering those companies over-grade everything. Isn't Jeff smart enough to know that an off-brand 8.5 probably isn't GEM MINT? I should hope so. He knew the risk. I would love to see this "deceptive" listing.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I would love to see this "deceptive" listing.

I agree with that. My opinion is based on Jeff not embellishing his side of the story. The only point that metters in all of this is whether or not the seller in some way altered the photo to hide a defect. If he did alter it, then he deserves a neutral, whether or not he tried to make it right afterwards. Otherwise he'll just continue to relist the card until he finds someone dumb enough to take it, while all of the duped buyers keep having to return the card to him on their dime.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
So, I was GOING to leave a neutral based on his deceptive picture taking and description. Now, essentially, I'm blocked because he'll leave me a negative.

Excuse me for being dense, but how exactly can a seller leave a buyer negative feedback anymore?

Members online