Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hosmer and killing collectors budgets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Another thread had me thinking about Eric Hosmer. A ton of people bought in so high. Mainly because his Chrome autos where so short printed. His cards go to ridiculous prices last year. He went to crap and his cards dropped, anyone fearing their stash player will do the same?
Strasburg did it to me in 2010.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Buy Low/Sell High

You are going to lose 99% of the time if you are buying to create a stash when prices are high. You should be selling your stash at that point.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Another thread had me thinking about Eric Hosmer. A ton of people bought in so high. Mainly because his Chrome autos where so short printed. His cards go to ridiculous prices last year. He went to crap and his cards dropped, anyone fearing their stash player will do the same?

Don't get high on your own supply!

WaxPax

I wonder how that guy who bought that Hosmer PSA Red Ref Auto from a board member for like $3500 feels right about now.....

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I just finally picked up a Hosmer BC auto as it was the last one I needed for 2011.
Even after all this time, it STILL killed my budget. LOL

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
His stuff was insanely high for a while. Now is a good time to pick some up to flip or pc. Hopefully he will have a good year this year. I love my royals so I was very surprised how high his stuff got to in the first place because of where he plays.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Loving the fact Hosmer stuff is low. Picked this up for under $90 :)

2013-01-21_09-17-18.jpg

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
I don't buy into royals prospects, Alex Gordon *** suppose to be the next big thing. He's solid at best, butler as well.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I don't buy into royals prospects, Alex Gordon *** suppose to be the next big thing. He's solid at best, butler as well.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I love that sentiment, from other collectors.

I've never liked Gordon. Have always thought he was overrated. Butler has been around a long time and people forget that he's a whopping 26 years old..290-.300 avg with 25-30 HR at that age I call that a little.better than solid.

What people miss about Hosmer is that he's 23 and his babip was ridiculous. Guy was literally one of the unluckiest hitters in baseball. Take a look at his numbers in the clutch though. Speaks volumes about him.

Keep doubting. Keeps prices low for me :)

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I'm a team collector and I never buy the expensive stuff when it's hyped, I've been in the hobby too long to fall for that. The A's had a couple of hot sellers this year in Yoenis Cespedes and Addison Russell and I've only picked up a few affordable autos of each. For every Pujols whose prices rose after his rookie year there are hundreds of players that dropped into the tank and dozens of STAR players whose prices fell even though they filled expectations, because prospectors aren't in the market anymore pumping up the value.

If you buy cards while they are hyped you are paying a giant premium just to have the warm fuzzy feeling of owning a hot card and showing it off.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I'm a team collector and I never buy the expensive stuff when it's hyped, I've been in the hobby too long to fall for that. The A's had a couple of hot sellers this year in Yoenis Cespedes and Addison Russell and I've only picked up a few affordable autos of each. For every Pujols whose prices rose after his rookie year there are hundreds of players that dropped into the tank and dozens of STAR players whose prices fell even though they filled expectations, because prospectors aren't in the market anymore pumping up the value.

If you buy cards while they are hyped you are paying a giant premium just to have the warm fuzzy feeling of owning a hot card and showing it off.

100% true. That's why I'm buying now.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
And I am with you on royals. Not being on a coast keeps the numbers down slightly I believe. Hosmers stuff was so hot in the beginning I barely touched it. Butlers low numbered stuff is affordable and not hard to move if you decide to. I don't need my pc guys stuff to be in the mike trout Bryce Harper range because the highs are too high and at some point lows could be too low. I will stick with middle of the road.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Buy when there are no investors inflating market prices and you'll do well for yourself 99.9% of the time.

Collectors will almost ALWAYS lose money when competing against investors... because prices drop when investors leave to invest in the next 'latest and greatest thing' - and they always do.

This simple advice works for any kind of card, not just prospects.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth

So true, I did this when I got back into collecting as an adult. Lots of disposable income, I have curbed my spending habits and learned to wait till prices drop.

On the other hand what fun is owning a card that the value dropped on unless its for your collection team or player PC.
Makes a difference if your investing or collecting. Of course you never want to buy hi but sometimes warm and fuzzy is nice to.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
On the other hand what fun is owning a card that the value dropped on unless its for your collection team or player PC.
Makes a difference if your investing or collecting. Of course you never want to buy hi but sometimes warm and fuzzy is nice to.

The title of your post is "Hosmer and killing collectors budgets" so I approached it from the angle of a real collector. If you were investing in Hosmer it is completely different. Reading your sig closer gives me the impression you are an investor more than a collector.

From a true collecting standpoint, the question you have to ask yourself is "Okay this guy is super hyped right now, the odds if I wait to buy are that I'll be able to pick it up much cheaper, there's very little chance it won't eventually drop below this price level." For example I picked up a Cespedes Topps Chrome auto for $30 and a Russell Bowman Chrome Draft auto for $30. The odds are that those prices will eventually drop after the rookie/prospect hype wears off even if they become/remain good players. If that's the case though the most they will drop is maybe $10, or like $25 if they bomb out. I paid the premium of $10-25 to get that warm fuzzy feeling of having a card I wanted NOW. Unless you have a ton of money to waste or are an amazingly impatient person, it's probably not worth the triple digit premium it would take to get a color or SP auto.

From an investing standpoint, others in the thread have already said that buying during hype is the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do. The odds that works out for you are probably around 1%. It's actually way easier than if it's a hot player for a team you really collect and you are planning on keeping the cards.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I bought Hosmer up, before prices skyrocketed. When prices jumped, I couldn't resist selling out and taking the chance on prices dropping when I wanted to add to my collection again. It paid off bigtime, as I've picked up cards for 50% of what i originally sold them for. I sold a 9 card lot, on here, for around $750. That lot is still floating around eBay with him still trying to get those inflated prices out of it. As a collector or made more sense for me to turn investor at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts