Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Justin Upton, since 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
{Arizona Republic}

Since the start of the 2009 season, Upton has 91 homers, 77 stolen bases, 310 RBIs and 369 runs scored.

You know how many major-league players have equaled or exceeded those numbers? One: Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun.

Delete runs, which more often than not are the byproduct of the next few hitters in the lineup, and only Braun, Colorado’s Carlos Gonzalez and Matt Kemp of the Dodgers have been as productive.

Use the more modern slash line — batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage — as the common measure, and Upton ranks 16th among major-leaguers.

Oh, did we mention he’s 25 years old and presumably has his best years ahead of him?

Yes, we know. Upton has been maddeningly inconsistent in his four full seasons with the D-Backs. His eye-popping ’09 season as a 21-year-old — 26 homers, 86 RBIs, 20 stolen bases, a .300 batting average — was followed by a 2010 campaign in which he hit .273 with 17 homers and 69 RBIs.

In 2011, he finished fourth in the National League MVP balloting after hitting .289 with 31 homers, 88 RBIs and 21 stolen bases. Last year: .280, 17 homers, 67 RBIs, 18 stolen bases. In context, however, the numbers look different, particularly in examining Upton’s down 2012 season.

Upton injured his left thumb in the season-opening series against the San Francisco Giants and wore a pad to protect it until late August. He refused to go on the disabled list, even though the injury robbed him of his usual power.

With the pad off in September and October, he looked like the Upton of a year before: He hit .304, with six homers, 14 RBIs and five steals in 29 games. His slugging percentage was .522, nearly matching his .529 mark in ’11.

The Diamondbacks know Upton was playing hurt. They also know he’s their most physically gifted offensive player and that, when healthy, he’s capable of putting together a string of monster seasons. Yet it seems a foregone conclusion he’ll be traded before spring training.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I hear the Orioles are trying hard for Jason Kubel now, which doesn't really make sense to me since they need a RH bat in the OF, not a LH bat. Why not go for Upton? As much I as I don't want to trade Tillman, I would for Upton.

Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, L.J. Hoes, and another prospect. That would be a good package for AZ.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I hear the Orioles are trying hard for Jason Kubel now, which doesn't really make sense to me since they need a RH bat in the OF, not a LH bat. Why not go for Upton? As much I as I don't want to trade Tillman, I would for Upton.

Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, L.J. Hoes, and another prospect. That would be a good package for AZ.

That package wouldnt get it done mainly because we don't need pitching prospects

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Nothing short of Machado or Bundy would be enough to get Upton, which the O's clearly won't go for.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Update from MLBTR:

•The Diamondbacks want to make a decision on trading Jason Kubel or Justin Upton by Friday, people involved in the process tell Olney. Arizona had an agreement with the Mariners on an Upton deal earlier this offseason but the 25-year-old used his limited veto power to shoot the trade down.
•Meanwhile, Arizona's talks with the Braves on Upton have resumed (Twitter link). Atlanta is said to be aggressive about acquiring Upton and they're likely the frontrunner for the outfielder if he is dealt. The D'Backs have been reviewing the Braves' offer and some folks involved believe that it's a strong proposal, according to Olney.

Guessing either Teheran or Delgado will be dealt, if so.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Update from MLBTR:

•The Diamondbacks want to make a decision on trading Jason Kubel or Justin Upton by Friday, people involved in the process tell Olney. Arizona had an agreement with the Mariners on an Upton deal earlier this offseason but the 25-year-old used his limited veto power to shoot the trade down.
•Meanwhile, Arizona's talks with the Braves on Upton have resumed (Twitter link). Atlanta is said to be aggressive about acquiring Upton and they're likely the frontrunner for the outfielder if he is dealt. The D'Backs have been reviewing the Braves' offer and some folks involved believe that it's a strong proposal, according to Olney.

Guessing either Teheran or Delgado will be dealt, if so.

Don't think they want to give up Teheran, thought this was a tempting one but dead in the water for the Braves.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Still don't know why Arizona would even consider trading him, espeicially since he is relatively salary-controlled...

sscards

Jul 18, 2010
Still don't know why Arizona would even consider trading him, espeicially since he is relatively salary-controlled...

Imagine playing for a team that has now tried to trade you for the last year or so. A trade was already accepted to Seattle his GM called him out.

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I'll cheers to those stats. Here is to Upton in 2013!
IMAG0047.jpg

Members online

Latest posts