Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Poll: 17,943 Major Leaguers. How many could you honestly name off the top of your head?

How many Major League players can you name off the top of your head?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Other than a live and in-person challenge, this would be almost impossible to verify. However, as a diehard baseball fan, I've wondered how many players past and present I could name off the cuff.

If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 500. How about you? You've got a pen, an endless supply of paper, your brain, and absolutely nothing else. No access to books, the Internet, your collection, television, crib notes, nothing. How many can you rattle off?

Last edited:

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I equate it to being able to name anout ten guys per roster... so I guess about 300.

Of course that doesn't include prospects, if we are talking guys under an mlb contract.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Past and present, well crap, I'm probably going to make a list. I have from about 1988 till now to draw from.

Challenge accepted.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Okay, maybe not a savant, but impressive nonetheless...especially if you didn't write them down as you went and didn't try to cram from a master list before hand. Purely off the cuff.

Sporcle.com would be the perfect venue to test this...but you'd have to put a time restriction on it.

Last edited:

danboone2006

May 22, 2010
Cleveland OH
I think maybe a few thousand. For me, it would be a matter of going team by team. I would imagine it would be rather easy to name 100+ players for each of the 30 teams.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I voted 501-750 but for the hell of it I started jotting some down. Without much effort I broke a hundred and that's mostly Mariners and a random assortment other players. I felt like I could keep going for awhile, so I'd probably say 1000+ would be within my realm, if only because I've looked at so many baseball cards over the years. Ask me positions or teams for many of them and the list would be so much shorter.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It's not really how many I could name; it's the fact that it would probably take me a few hours with a few friends helping me.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I voted 1501-2000, but I'm thinking I could do more if I sat down and started typing out names. Might have to accept this challenge.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I could easily name well over 1500 hundred. Me and my boss actually played this game a few years ago but in a different way. I had to name only baseball players and he could name basketball or football. We played it in the sense of alphabet. Not in order, but say if he said Kobe Bryant, I had to name a guy that started with a k, like Kerry wood. He even allowed me to use their last names so somebody like Kershaw or Koufax would work for Kobe too. This game went on for days and we agreed not to watch sportscenter or read anything sports related. It was just for fun and we never kept official track but at 8 hrs a day for like 4 days....that's a lot of names.

I feel anyone who collects baseball cards and especially sets as well as reads about the history of the game could do very well in this challenge.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I could easily name well over 1500 hundred. Me and my boss actually played this game a few years ago but in a different way. I had to name only baseball players and he could name basketball or football. We played it in the sense of alphabet. Not in order, but say if he said Kobe Bryant, I had to name a guy that started with a k, like Kerry wood. He even allowed me to use their last names so somebody like Kershaw or Koufax would work for Kobe too. This game went on for days and we agreed not to watch sportscenter or read anything sports related. It was just for fun and we never kept official track but at 8 hrs a day for like 4 days....that's a lot of names.

I feel anyone who collects baseball cards and especially sets as well as reads about the history of the game could do very well in this challenge.

We had a similar topic on another forum a few years ago.

Name a player, and the next poster had to name a player using the first letter of the previous player's last name.

I say Derek Jeter, you could use John Smoltz or any other player that starts with a J. Next player has to start with an S, and so on.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Those type of games mentioned are a lot of fun, but there's really no way to monitor each other in between responses. Take for example the game that lasted days. That's a lot of time to think of other names (in conversation, looking at book titles, looking at your cards, etc...). I'm certainly not saying that's what happened, but that format is more conducive to digging up more names. The format I'm talking would be a lot tougher, in my opinion.

Example: sit at a table with a friend and just start naming names. After awhile, I think you'd start repeating yourself.

This would make a wonderful game, but you'd have to basically walk up to someone out of the blue and pose the challenge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts