Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help on breaking up a collection...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
So I've decided that it's time to downsize significantly with my collection. I've dragged around 300,000+ cards for years now, and they are currently just sitting in a part of my basement. I know that I'm not sitting on a mint or anything. But I wanted to see if anyone has any good suggestions on how to break it up and sell it.

I don't want to sell it in one lot because I'd like to maximize the value if I can, but then again, the work of sorting, etc. etc. is daunting. Compounding things are a few odd factors: For most of my collecting life, my collection focused on in-person autographs, mostly minor league baseball. So I've got at least 30,000 in person autographs on minor league and major league issues. Part of that number, and maybe more, is a very large amount of minor league team sets with many cards signed in them. The main years of the autograph collecting were 95-2003. Since then I've bought some here and there but not a lot, a few boxes a year or so with some cases of USA and Bowman draft and chrome thrown in for good measure in 2007/2008.

One of the crown jewels is an 8x10 autograph of Albert Pujols as a Peoria Chief (single A) that he signed with his full name Jose Albert Pujols - it's pretty rare, I would imagine.

The bulk of the rest of the collection is alphabetized by last name up to about 2003. Since then, I didn't keep up and alphabetize. There's lots of crap interspersed with large lots of stars and semistars. Frankly, because my focus was in person autographs, I never focused on high end stuff, so there's nothing graded, and not a ton of high end stuff from recent years, like patches,

I'm not trying to spam this - I just want some ideas. No matter what I do it'll take a while, I would imagine.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sounds like a large project.

I'd first be interested in what Albert Belle cards you have... Maybe a Joey Belle IP auto?

Other than Belle, '90 inserts are always of interest and others on the board.

Members online

Latest posts