Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Here's a video break and Q&A of new Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Lol. I heard he's starring in the 40 Year Old ****** sequel.

I don't want to talk crap about Chris Olds because his avatar combines Star Wars and the A's, but I'm pretty sure that movie would not involve somebody as nice-looking as the woman in the vid and would include a fetching lady donkey.

Come on Olds, you gotta change that hair. I however do appreciate that you are, like me, a member of the "goatee to hide the double chin" club.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I don't want to talk crap about Chris Olds because his avatar combines Star Wars and the A's, but I'm pretty sure that movie would not involve somebody as nice-looking as the woman in the vid and would include a fetching lady donkey.

Come on Olds, you gotta change that hair. I however do appreciate that you are, like me, a member of the "goatee to hide the double chin" club.

If I had the wherewithall, I could create a 5 minute clip with him looking in the camera, moving his eyebrows and making duckface.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Why people are so interested in how Chris Olds looks is beyond me.

Similar to the interest in Beckett as an industry source...I just don't get it.

I've been to Beckett.com perhaps 4 times in the last 365 days...Marketplace and grading population reports.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
It's not JUST his appearance. There are a plethora of things about him that are off putting to the knowledgeable collector/hobbyist... his refusal to do anything helpful to effectuate change in the hobby; buying into the lines that the manufacturers feed; failure to be the least bit critical; things that have been said here numerous times, as well as his writing style which is too simplistic for a 3rd grader to be challenged. His physical appearance is the easiest to throw stones at as his large balding head with idiotic facial gestures is on our screen for 10 minutes at a time, saying everything that angers us about this hobby, if we want to see a break of a new product.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ill never understand the judgment of his appearance.

We can't pluck the low-hanging fruit once in a while? It seems like Olds puts together the Beckett Baseball mag by himself, and it is TERRIBLE. Just so half-assed compared to how it was when I was younger. SCD is miles better and that rag is 95% ads. I understand there must be very little staff to do the magazines nowadays but put some pride in your work.

I completely understand that he can't really say anything negative when the manufacturers are keeping it afloat with advertising, though.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If you've ever talked to Olds in person, that's just who he is. Dry, monotone, awkward in conversation and an acceptable amount of hobby knowledge. But the constant bagging on his appearance...but expected from the certain slew of Lotharios on this (and every) hobby board. Has anyone ever been to a card show? Good grief. If you're nitpicking on looks, you're in the wrong hobby. Then again, maybe companies should start releasing inserts of players with their shirts off so you guys can rub one out to more sexy physical specimens.

All of that said, Beckett is no longer an integral source of hobby information. It's not timely, it's not complete and it's hardly scratching the source. Bag on Beckett. As far as what he as an individual contributes or doesn't contribute to the hobby...Beckett is a shell of what it was 10 years ago, and it's not coming back. No need to.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I just cancelled all the Beckett monthly mags for sale in my store, that after a 22 year run. Got tired of the return process every 2 months.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I really don't like making fun of someone unless its warranted, & its certainly not with him.

If every person a card company hired had his knowledge & love of this hobby, it would be a better place.

If you don't like beckett, fine, but nothing wrong with olds.

Members online

Latest posts