Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1972 O-Pee-Chee Crazy Gum Stain Roberto Clemente

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Good morning all.

I just received and opened 4 1972 Series 1 O-Pee-Chee wax packs I got from The Baseball Card Exchange online store and unfortunately for me the by far best card of the bunch, #309 Roberto Clemente, was at the end of the pack with the gum and has the worst gum stain I've ever seen. I spoke with Steve from Baseball Card Exchange and he told me there was nothing I could do to get it off. I'm wondering if anyone in here has another opinion. As a point of interest, best cards I pulled were the Clemente, #291 Hal McRae, #41 Tommy Harris, #34 Billy Martin IA, #103 Checklist 2nd Series, and #92 ERA Leaders V Blue W Wood J Palmer. Thanks.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Slightly more detail, the stain is on the front of the card, and it looks as if the gum was heated as there is actually gum still attached.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Pantyhose has worked in the past. Not sure if it's truly "stained" or simply the wax residue. The residue will come off, but if it's stained, that means the paraffin has seeped into the cardstock.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Could you elaborate on Pantyhose? Yes, I don't expect the stain to come out, but getting the layer of gum off would be nice.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Could you elaborate on Pantyhose? Yes, I don't expect the stain to come out, but getting the layer of gum off would be nice.

Have your lady put some pantyhose on. Work her into a tizzy by rubbbing Roberto up and down her leg. The hose will gently rub the wax off the card, and your lady will never forget the experience.

Common to do this to 86-87 Fleer Basketball stickers.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Have your lady put some pantyhose on. Work her into a tizzy by rubbbing Roberto up and down her leg. The hose will gently rub the wax off the card, and your lady will never forget the experience.

Common to do this to 86-87 Fleer Basketball stickers.

Similar to this.

But seriously, pantyhose over your hand/fingers and the texture will remove the wax, without messing with the surface. Don't forget to constantly switch locations of the hose that you are using so you don't just end up smearing more wax around.

I'm sure if you google baseball card - wax stain pantyhose - better descriptions will come up.

Also, Joel's NSFW video might come up too, so be careful.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Thanks as usual folks, so psyched a buddy of mine pointed me here about a month ago! I'll see if I can get a scan up shortly.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There used to be some sort of product on the market that would could brush onto cards that, it claimed, would remove gum stains. I never saw it in action myself, but that card is beyond any sort of restoration anyway.

Even more entertaining would be to chew the gum with live streaming.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Yup! Good times, if I didn't have crappy health insurance I might do the live gum chewing feed but alas I have to console myself with a factory sealed 2001 topps limited edition set for now.:cool:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
if you really think its ruined & embedded into the card, DON'T REMOVE THE GUM!

Im actually being for real, list it on ebay & write it up as unique with a piece of 41 yr old gum (probably older, who knows how long the gum was sitting in the warehouse).

If I collected him, I would pay more for yours than one in similar shape.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
XXXX it, if you really think its ruined & embedded into the card, DON'T REMOVE THE GUM!

Im actually being for real, list it on ebay & write it up as unique with a piece of 41 yr old gum (probably older, who knows how long the gum was sitting in the warehouse).

If I collected him, I would pay more for yours than one in similar shape.

eBay 1/1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts