Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect Sleepers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I figure since this is more of an exclusive area I can talk about my purchases within the last 6 months.

I am more of a sleeper prospector and it has paid off for me in the past. These are a few guys I have been hoarding on the cheap that I think have some potential.

Curious to hear your thoughts and sleepers you are tucking away for the future.

Luis Mateo (2B, Cardinals) - 22 years old (23 in May), in terms of Home Runs hit 12 in 2012 and 2 in 2011 and raised his average, strikeouts look to be a bit of a concern
Julio Morban (OF, Mariners) 21 years old, 17 home runs in 82 games, strikeouts creeping up, but decreased from 2011. .308 BA, but only hit .171 with minimal power in the last 10 games of 2012
Lane Adams (RF, Royals) - 23 years old, doubled his power from 2011, has decent speed, mediocre average
Charles Gillies (SP, Tigers) - 22 years old, strikeout to innings ratio about the same, 12 starts and a decent ERA, but not spectacular
Jacob Thompson (SP, Tigers) - 19 years old, 31 SO to 28.1 IP, only started 7 games, but sported a 1.91 ERA
Drew Gagnon (SP, Brewers) - 22 years old, SO to IP ratio isn't great, but averages about 5 SO's a game. Under 3 ERA and started 25 games.

Disappointments so far...
Miguel De Los Santos (P, Rangers) - 23 years old, had a decent season in 2011, but his ERA was bloated. 142 SO in 94.2 IP. In 2012 however he only started 4 of 26 games and his ERA suffered. SO ratio is still decent, but appears to me that Texas may be transitioning him to a relief role
Nick Ramirez (1B, Brewers) - 23 years old. I thought this guy had some power potential in only playing 59 games in 2011. I watched him play this year in a few games and it looks like he is swing for the fences or strikeout trying kind of player. I had the chance to meet him and his girlfriend (for which I sold most of my collection to) and he didn't impress me much as a person. Very arrogant and I got the impression that he feels like he will succeed and make a ton of money as a player. Just don't see it if he doesn't learn plate discipline.
Jarek Cunningham (2B, Pirates) - 24 years old. This guy fell off the map in 2012. After having a decent 2011 Season, I thought his numbers would only increase as in previous seasons, but he dropped in every category in 2012. Hoping for a bounce back, but it doesn't look promising.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Personally, I'm not buying anyone currently. I just don't get how the entry prices on Bowman Chrome for guys like Soler, Dahl, Zunino have been so high. At their lowest, I was buying Rendon, Baez, and Archie Bradley blue refractor autos for around 80. Raw Dahl Blue Refractor autos have been going well over 120.00 with many much higher. I just don't get it.

I like Dahl, and he's on my candidates list to buy, but the buy-ins are just really high on some of these guys. Can anyone offer a good explanation on this?

I have stayed away from the lower-tiered prospects as well. I really like Tyrone Taylor but need a little more pro data. And although I've defended Pitchers as viable prospect investments in the past, none really make me wow'd right now. Noah Syndergaard seems like he could be a smart buy-in right now.

Just some random thoughts. Love the discussion.

Thanks.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Personally, I'm not buying anyone currently. I just don't get how the entry prices on Bowman Chrome for guys like Soler, Dahl, Zunino have been so high. At their lowest, I was buying Rendon, Baez, and Archie Bradley blue refractor autos for around 80. Raw Dahl Blue Refractor autos have been going well over 120.00 with many much higher. I just don't get it.

I like Dahl, and he's on my candidates list to buy, but the buy-ins are just really high on some of these guys. Can anyone offer a good explanation on this?

I have stayed away from the lower-tiered prospects as well. I really like Tyrone Taylor but need a little more pro data. And although I've defended Pitchers as viable prospect investments in the past, none really make me wow'd right now. Noah Syndergaard seems like he could be a smart buy-in right now.

Just some random thoughts. Love the discussion.

Thanks.

Simple. Media hype. No greater motivator exists.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Simple. Media hype. No greater motivator exists.

How? Is David Dahl more hyped than Rendon was? Personally I don't see how Zunino is over-glorified in the media right now. These aren't the greatest prospects in the world, and they came out of a draft weaker than that of 2011 (by far). You really see this as a hype issue? Where is all this Dahl talk supposedly?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How? Is David Dahl more hyped than Rendon was? Personally I don't see how Zunino is over-glorified in the media right now. These aren't the greatest prospects in the world, and they came out of a draft weaker than that of 2011 (by far). You really see this as a hype issue? Where is all this Dahl talk supposedly?

I don't know precisely how much hype Dahl got in relation to Rendon, but he got plenty. I remember Googling him before the draft and found dozens of articles.

After Strasburg and Harper ignited the flame on pre-draft hype, people needed to find someone comparable to read about in last year's draft, and guys such as Dahl and Zunino whet their appetites.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm with you on Gagnon.

I've also been taking in David Holmberg.

Does Josh Sale count as a "sleeper"? He's definately fallen on hard times, but something in me can't let go; and his prices are really depressed right now.

I also like that Archie Bradley prices have cooled.

Members online

Latest posts