Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Little Grading Rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Had a friend of mine submit some cards at the Houston TRI-STAR show and he forgot to give them back to Beckett to have slabbed. Talked to Beckett on how this would be handled getting these slabbed, and they said that if I sent them in, it would basically be a regrade and the cards could get different grades than what the holder says. So I paid $7 to get RCR, get 9.5/10 and then pay and possibly get something different? What a freaking joke. I've never graded a card myself, as I usually just send a few to my buddy when he needs a few cards to get him to the next price break, and now I remember why. It's a freaking circus.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
They can't guarantee the grade after the show. It's possible that someone could figure out a way to remove the cards from the RCR sticker and then repackage it. It's happened before.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Had a friend of mine submit some cards at the Houston TRI-STAR show and he forgot to give them back to Beckett to have slabbed. Talked to Beckett on how this would be handled getting these slabbed, and they said that if I sent them in, it would basically be a regrade and the cards could get different grades than what the holder says. So I paid $7 to get RCR, get 9.5/10 and then pay and possibly get something different? What a freaking joke. I've never graded a card myself, as I usually just send a few to my buddy when he needs a few cards to get him to the next price break, and now I remember why. It's a freaking circus.

Jimmy - I would say this wouldn't be an issue as long as the cards are in the same condition.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I've always understood it that the RCR was a quick opinion and a different process than the grading process. That said, I've never personally had an RCR come back lower in a slab.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
IMO the only reason to get a card RCR'd is if you intend to move it immediately (read: at the show). Otherwise, you are not guaranteed the grade and still have to pay the same grading fees to have it fully slabbed.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Can really be mad or blame Beckett for this...

You can how ever blame shady people that may try to switch out cards in rcr holders and or your friend that forgot to give them back to Beckett...

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Can really be mad or blame Beckett for this...

You can how ever blame shady people that may try to switch out cards in rcr holders and or your friend that forgot to give them back to Beckett...

Yes my friend should have left them with Beckett, but he had a little run in with an H-town local and involved a firearm and $$ and there were other things on his mind.

RipitRipken

Jan 4, 2013
IMO the only reason to get a card RCR'd is if you intend to move it immediately (read: at the show). Otherwise, you are not guaranteed the grade and still have to pay the same grading fees to have it fully slabbed.

But you are guaranteed the grade if you make them submit it right then and there.

I have done RCRs once or twice now and the same guy told me that it will not be "regraded" but simply slabbed. But if you take it home, send it in etc, it WILL be regraded.

I personally think RCR grading is more lenient It makes sense that it would be because Beckett wants to make money on you so if you're card is really an 8.5 or 9 they'll say it's a 9.5 so you spend the extra cash to get it slabbed.

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
And I was given a hard time for not accepting an RCR card as part of a trade for the same value as if it was slabbed. THIS IS WHY.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
But you are guaranteed the grade if you make them submit it right then and there.

I have done RCRs once or twice now and the same guy told me that it will not be "regraded" but simply slabbed. But if you take it home, send it in etc, it WILL be regraded.

I personally think RCR grading is more lenient It makes sense that it would be because Beckett wants to make money on you so if you're card is really an 8.5 or 9 they'll say it's a 9.5 so you spend the extra cash to get it slabbed.

Don't you still have to pay the same slab fee that you would pay if you sent it in to Beckett? Or if you tell them you'd like it RCR'd and then slabbed, does it cost less? If they're more lenient then that'd certainly be an advantage, but if you have to basically pay the grading fee and then pay the slab grading fee, seems you'd be paying 2x as much for the same thing.

Is this how it works? I honestly don't know, I'm trying to understand the process myself.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Don't you still have to pay the same slab fee that you would pay if you sent it in to Beckett? Or if you tell them you'd like it RCR'd and then slabbed, does it cost less? If they're more lenient then that'd certainly be an advantage, but if you have to basically pay the grading fee and then pay the slab grading fee, seems you'd be paying 2x as much for the same thing.

Is this how it works? I honestly don't know, I'm trying to understand the process myself.

I'm confused by this too. I don't get a discount if I submit it for 20 day slabbing if I get a card RCR'd. I think maybe they give you like the 100+ slabbing rate, but that's it.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Yea, you essentially pay double, or near double if you RCR then slab. I really don't see the purpose of RCR, unless you are moving something ASAP that someone wants graded/authenticated etc. If you are going to slab it, you might as well just skip the RCR. You pay the full grading fee just to RCR anyways, so at best you are saving on shipping costs

RipitRipken

Jan 4, 2013

I am by no means an expert but here's how it went down for me.

I brought in 20 cards to grade....they graded them all right there for a total of $129 if I remember correctly. I then submitted 17 right then and there to be "slabbed" I'm pretty sure I paid like another $8-$10 per card. All cards were slabbed and received the grades that they had gotten for RCR.

Note: of those 20 cards, 5 were cards removed from slabs that were graded a 9. 4 of the 5 when graded via RCR became 9.5s.....Granted I picked ones that I felt deserved 9.5s but it was still an interesting experiment.

I ended up paying roughly the same? I saved on shipping cards to BGS but I paid a possible extra $5 per card. Since 80% were for selling it was worth it to me because IMO all of the "questionable" cards got 9.5s.

I really think BGS grades a little easier on RCR. I may be making an anecdotal error here but it's just my experience.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
There have been several threads about this in the past. If the cards are not resubmitted for encapsulation at the BGS booth immediately after looking over your grades then the grades are no longer guaranteed. The reason for this is simple: the card can be damaged in the RCR holder. I can't tell you how many RCR's I've seen that someone has sent through the mail and the card was bent, had a surface indention, etc. that occurred while in the RCR holder. Obviously BGS won't slab them with the same grade if that has happened. If you resubmit them as soon as you look over the grades then you'll get the same grade or receive some sort of compensation, usually grading credit.

OP: Assuming your cards haven't been damaged in the holder there is absolutely no reason to expect the grades to change.

Members online

Latest posts