Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS Saturday Delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Mom just found out they are doing away with Saturday delivery in August.

your mom is wrong.

They are doing away with Saturday LETTER mail delivery. Mail delivery will continue for packages and if you have P.O. Box service.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
She texted me doing away with Saturday delivery. She's a carrier, so that pretty much means no mail. Yes packages would be delivered, but that isn't very much. Bubble mailers are classified as 1st class mail unless they are Priority. And PO Box service will continue because the mail will already be at the Post Office and someone will just throw it in the boxes. It all comes sorted, so it will be a quick process.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Bubble mailers are classified as 1st class mail unless they are Priority.

aren't they considered "package" over 3/4" thick since you are paying first class mail package rates?

i wonder what defines "package" for the new saturday delivery rules - i.e. does it have to be in a box to be a "package" or can it be "package" if any package rate is paid? I guess we'll find out later today during the official annoucement.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I honestly don't have know. I thought that's how it was or used to be. Could have changed?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
That kinda sucks.

not really. If a mail piece needs to get to someone on Saturday, just make sure to send it as whatever the USPS considers a "package". This move might be great for the USPS if they will consider Priority Mail envelopes as "packages" for saturday delivery because they might increase revenues by people sending something priority mail instead of first class if it's midweek and they want to have it delivered saturday.

doesn't bother me too much - not very often I get anything other than a Priority Mail package on Saturdays so I can do without a junk ad or two showing up on Saturday while it seems any first class letters of interest always seem to show up on a Monday rather than a Saturday.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
not really. If a mail piece needs to get to someone on Saturday, just make sure to send it as whatever the USPS considers a "package". This move might be great for the USPS if they will consider Priority Mail envelopes as "packages" for saturday delivery because they might increase revenues by people sending something priority mail instead of first class if it's midweek and they want to have it delivered saturday.

doesn't bother me too much - not very often I get anything other than a Priority Mail package on Saturdays so I can do without a junk ad or two showing up on Saturday while it seems any first class letters of interest always seem to show up on a Monday rather than a Saturday.

It sucks in the sense that when I go to IP autographing events, such as TwinsFest or Caravan, I like to order base cards to get signed over other stuff. Most base cards are shipped PWE unless you buy a ton.

It's not a big deal or anything, I just have to order the cards a couple days before I normally would.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I can see why they had to do this. At the local PO where I have my Box one of the long time clerks just retired and they aren't filling the position. They'll be down a window as a result. Was told they just don't have the revenue coming in to support the position. Cutting Saturday delivery to packages only gets the mail trucks off the road for the most part, saving gas and salary.

Next thing I see them cutting is the free Priority boxes. Maybe not completely as it encourages people to use the (more expensive than 1st class) service, but at least in some part. I really hope the USPS survives since it's still the cheapest reliable shipper there is. Maybe they should go private.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
If they privatize, say goodbye to free boxes. The idea of making it private will be to make money and a successful business. Giving stuff away for free goes against that idea.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
The price of Priority mailers are factored into the shipping price. By using/offering these boxes USPS receives more standard boxes making filling space in trucks/other more efficient.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I know there was the potential for eliminating Express Mail last year. Is the margin that low on the premium service?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
This is just another nail in the eventual USPS coffin unless they make some drastic changes to their business model.

Members online

No members online now.