Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards or Memorabilia?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I like both as well. I'm picky with what I grab for both cards and memorabilia though

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I go back and forth, depending mostly on what I bought most recently.

If you see my other recent vandy pickup thread, it's cards. BUt my favorite item is my MLB certified David Price Cy Young Season gamer jersey.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think memorabilia is really cool but at the end of the day the few things I've picked up over time never get displayed, and in some cases when I got tired of them and considered moving them, it was a real hassle.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
This may be specific to my player...

My guy has 1 bat knob, 3 laundry tags, 5 bat barrels, 8 buttons...

Only a handful of these have surfaced - They have been released over the last 8 years and have been pulled all over the United States (some the World).

Being that there is such a small amount of these cards - I am more that happy to add a Barrel or Button card (that only a few were produced for my player) then a full bat or jersey that shows up on eBay 15-25 times a year.

Plus I have a couple thousand other cards to go along with my major hits and it just completes the cycle. Now I do have a few cool game used Bats, Wristbands, Oakleys, etc... But, I'd think most of us would of their player.

*I enjoy the sliver of bat knob over the full bat. Another collector can buy the whole bat and tell themselves it's just as good - I'd just rather have that rare pack issued compact version that NO one else can (in my case).

<AJ>

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It depends on the specifics for me.

I like cards in the sense that they are cheaper (in some cases) and they are very easy to store. I like mem. because it's easier to display.

Cards have the "thrill" of the chase, mem. generally looks nicer.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I have both. I have 2 Game used bats, a Locker nameplate and a Game Used Jersey of Descalso. But at the same time i have almost all of his cards. I have signed baseballs, Tickets, Cards , photos from 8x10s all the way to 16x20s. I have an awesome collection and I display none of it.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I like the art and history of cards. Memorabilia has its own personality but I wouldn't deem it art.
Plus I rarely see any true GU Oswalt items. I've always a hat.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
I like both and they both have their place. Some say memorabilia is bulky and hard to store, but if you collect it, you make room and find ways to store items, it's no different that card collectors storing cards various ways. I'm sure many of the memorabilia collectors feel the same towards cards.

I do wish that both of these things were separate again. I can't think of another hobby that continually and intentionally destroys another hobby just for kicks and profits. I wish the card hobby would go back to being that, just cards. Spend more time and effort on design and quality, No more scraps of memorabilia that you really can't discern from another. No more cutting up pieces of history, even for current day items. Just because one cannot afford a full item doesn't mean it should be hacked up to share. I would love to own a Musial game worn jersey but I'm not that fortunate, I'm not rich. Items like that should be left intact in a museum or even a private collection, but it shouldn't be destroyed because I can't afford the whole thing. The same goes for current day players and if Mike Trout wore 162 jerseys this year there's a market for them, sure prices would drop significantly but they'd still be more rare than most cards of his. Should we chop a couple t-206 Honus Wagner cards into dozens of pieces so we can all have a part of one?

One thing is has done though is that for some it was the gateway into the game used memorabilia hobby. It certainly was for me and once I got my first jersey in, I was hooked. I knew that I wanted to collect both and that the gu cards were no longer something I wanted to really pursue outside of certain player collections (for simply getting as many of their cards that I can afford). Being able to look at photos from a game and being able to see that is the same item is really cool, you can't do that with a tiny swatch of fabric or bat. Plus many of these items appear on cards too and it makes for a nice display, the game used item and photos/cards that show that same exact item.

In the end, I collect both and they compliment each other and as for storage, I just need a bigger house to store it all, that goes for both the cards and memorabilia.

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
I prefer cards as that is what a majority of my collection consists of. I have some nice memorabilia as well that enshrouds the walls of my bedroom to make a "shrine". I think its nice to have both as part of a person's collection to keep things interesting and to give a variety to the collection. I do agree with others that having cards makes things easier for moving parts of a collection when selling or just moving to a different location.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I like the "known checklist" aspect of cards. Plus the ease of storage. I don't exclude memorabilia from my PC, but it's bulky, expensive and sometimes questionable in its authenticity.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I like both and they both have their place. Some say memorabilia is bulky and hard to store, but if you collect it, you make room and find ways to store items, it's no different that card collectors storing cards various ways. I'm sure many of the memorabilia collectors feel the same towards cards.

I do wish that both of these things were separate again. I can't think of another hobby that continually and intentionally destroys another hobby just for kicks and profits. I wish the card hobby would go back to being that, just cards. Spend more time and effort on design and quality, No more scraps of memorabilia that you really can't discern from another. No more cutting up pieces of history, even for current day items. Just because one cannot afford a full item doesn't mean it should be hacked up to share. I would love to own a Musial game worn jersey but I'm not that fortunate, I'm not rich. Items like that should be left intact in a museum or even a private collection, but it shouldn't be destroyed because I can't afford the whole thing. The same goes for current day players and if Mike Trout wore 162 jerseys this year there's a market for them, sure prices would drop significantly but they'd still be more rare than most cards of his. Should we chop a couple t-206 Honus Wagner cards into dozens of pieces so we can all have a part of one?

One thing is has done though is that for some it was the gateway into the game used memorabilia hobby. It certainly was for me and once I got my first jersey in, I was hooked. I knew that I wanted to collect both and that the gu cards were no longer something I wanted to really pursue outside of certain player collections (for simply getting as many of their cards that I can afford). Being able to look at photos from a game and being able to see that is the same item is really cool, you can't do that with a tiny swatch of fabric or bat. Plus many of these items appear on cards too and it makes for a nice display, the game used item and photos/cards that show that same exact item.

In the end, I collect both and they compliment each other and as for storage, I just need a bigger house to store it all, that goes for both the cards and memorabilia.

Good post. I also see autos pretty much the same way.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Personally I collect memorabilia, rare Cubs cards, and rookie autographs for the most part. Game used cards really don't do it for me anymore. I love being able to photo match a gamer. I wish game used cards had more transparency.

Members online

Latest posts