Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Wieters finally on a Topps card, sort of

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Not counting his eTopps card from 2009, I believe this is his first appearance on a Topps card (unless he's cameoed in others before). Manny Machado even makes an appearance on this card.
013-1.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Wieters can sign with Topps if he wants to I believe...but he does not appear to want to.

Panini would be wise to get Wieters in some products with their MLBPA license.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I remember a football player a few years back who had a situation somewhat similar. I believe it was Lavar Arrington who would not sign with the NFLPA so he couldn't appear in anything like fantasy football or cards or whatever.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I remember a football player a few years back who had a situation somewhat similar. I believe it was Lavar Arrington who would not sign with the NFLPA so he couldn't appear in anything like fantasy football or cards or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that Wieters is in the PA but just for some reason hasn't signed his individual Topps contract. Barry Bonds had a similar situation but signed his Topps deal late one year so he was added to some products at the end of the year....

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I'm pretty sure that Wieters is in the PA but just for some reason hasn't signed his individual Topps contract. Barry Bonds had a similar situation but signed his Topps deal late one year so he was added to some products at the end of the year....

Bonds wasn't in the pa at the time. Topps'deal isn't with the pa. They sign each player to an individual contract. I'm guessing the Wieters thing is out of spite.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Re: Help need with eBay situation

Didn't a similiar thing happen with A-Rod? He wasn't on a Topps card until 3 or 4 years into his career if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Didn't a similiar thing happen with A-Rod? He wasn't on a Topps card until 3 or 4 years into his career if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yes his first Topps card was 1997 or 1998.
Edit:it may have been 99 now that I think about it.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

Last edited:

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
He passed because Topps offered him a whopping $500.

Why anyone takes these crummy deals, ill never know..

I guess it's better than the whopping $5 (yes, five) to minor leaguers..

BG

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
He passed because Topps offered him a whopping $500.

Why anyone takes these crummy deals, ill never know..

I guess it's better than the whopping $5 (yes, five) to minor leaguers..

BG

Most players regard being on a historical-brand card to be its own reward. I love wieters but no one makes money from being pictured on cards alone.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Not like Wieters is A-Rod or Buster Posey - maybe money does have something to do with it but maybe Wieters just isn't a marquee enough player [unlike his prospect days] for Topps to care about putting him on a card and Wieters probably does a handful of regional endorsements that having another $500 for trading cards isn't important.

Members online

Latest posts