Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Cassel traded to the Chiefs for 2nd round draft pick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
2nd round pick (34 overall) this year to New England for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel.

I am officially dissapointed as a Pats fan. Wanted that #3 pick, then trade it for multiple picks. Theres no way they should be giving up Cassel and Vrabel for 1 pick!!!. The only way Im seeing this as a good thing is if they go out and sign Ray Lewis.

Aug 29, 2008
Re: Matt Cassel has been traded to the Chiefs for 2 draft picks

Wow, I thought they would get more than that. Kind of disapointed that the Chiefs didn't give Thigpen a full year. I really liked what I saw out of him last year.

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008

I'll take it. KOC is given the chance to be Bradys backup, and now it gives the Pats 3 2nd round picks to help bolster the D. Me likes.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

Wow, now this isnt looking so good. WEEI is reporting the trade is Cassel and Vrabel to KC for the Chiefs 2nd round draft pick. Nothing else.

minpin

Dec 27, 2008
Manhattan
Thank you, thank you! I've watched three years of some of the worst football in the NFL from the Chiefs. They've made some great moves so far this off season.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I am SO very happy that I did not buy into any Cassel rc's! I am a bit confused as to why NE gave those 2 players away so cheaply? :?

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
City of Detroit, get ready for another 0-16 season. Hey, I feel for you though. You guys gotta push to get someone who can achieve something in the NFL and stop taking these college failures.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
As a die hard chiefs fan, I can honestly say I went nuts when I heard about this deal. I figured we would have to give up our first and our fourth. I guess when your gm is actually a friendly guy and not a jerk like Peterson, good things happen

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
Ryo1549 said:
I think this trade is definitely fishy. I know for a fact more teams were interested in Cassel and probably would've given up more.

According to John Clayton, Denver offered the 12th overall pick in the draft for Cassel. It was some type of three way thing with the bucs, that would have sent Jay Cutler to Tampa. Hard to believe, but multiple sources have confirmed that was offered.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
arod305 said:
Ryo1549 said:
I think this trade is definitely fishy. I know for a fact more teams were interested in Cassel and probably would've given up more.

According to John Clayton, Denver offered the 12th overall pick in the draft for Cassel. It was some type of three way thing with the bucs, that would have sent Jay Cutler to Tampa. Hard to believe, but multiple sources have confirmed that was offered.

Yeah I remember reading that. That is what leads me to my question, why would the patriots take a 2nd round pick instead of the 12th overall in the 1st round? Doesn't make any sense.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Ryo1549 said:
arod305 said:
Ryo1549 said:

Yeah I remember reading that. That is what leads me to my question, why would the patriots take a 2nd round pick instead of the 12th overall in the 1st round? Doesn't make any sense.

Probably because they don't want to have to pay the $15 million or so it would take to sign the 12th overall player.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
LLWesMan said:
Ryo1549 said:
arod305 said:
Ryo1549 said:

Probably because they don't want to have to pay the $15 million or so it would take to sign the 12th overall player.

Would have been nice to have Laurenitis or Mauluga though. I hope one of those 2 or Cushing is still available when they select in the 1st round.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
THe only conclusion the people in KC can come up with is, Pioli and Bellicheck are just really good friends as Michael Smith would say

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I get the feeling that the Patriots agreed to take a 2nd round pick as long as the Chiefs agreed to take Vrabel and his salary. The Pats were going to let Vrabel walk after this season anyways, and his salary takes close to $4 million off the books. It looks like more of a salary dump to me. The Chiefs get a guy who they hope can be their franchise QB, and a guy who although he is aging will be a team leader in their lockerroom. The Pats get around $17-$17 million off the books, which they can use to sign their players whos contracts are running up, especially a guy like Wilfork and maybe pick up a guy like Shawn Springs and some other guys on D.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
yea, if the pats had gotten another 1st rounder, especially a high one, they would have had to guarantee a lot of $, something they rarely ever do. Vrabel was going to walk after this season, and getting anything for Cassel is a bonus if you think about it. He went from just being a backup QB to getting the Pats a 2nd round pick. The Patriots also have high hopes for O'connel. Spent a 3rd round pick on him.

Members online