Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is more confusing than the difference between Prism and Prismatic...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This product is not made by Leaf... The players are licensed to Rize by Leaf... Leaf is in no way connected to Rise outside of this licensing...

We are NOT in any way involved in the selling, etc of this product.. We merely secured the player deals and autographs for them as a new manufacturer....

This is why there is no leaf logo...it's not a leaf card...

$T2eC16VHJF8E9nnC7NzMBRHF6QmLD!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJGwE9n)yVUMhBRHF5QF1lg~~60_57.JPG

It's not a Leaf card... but Leaf is all over it.

There's some significant market confusion here.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I didn't get why Leaf chose to desperately disassociate themselves from these home brewed style cards - was it because people on forums like this and Blowout dissed how the cards looked?

The cards looked OK though it makes me wonder why Leaf [who clearly produced the cards] chose to wash their hands off these things.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I like James. He was, many years ago, a friend. It's sad to see him go downhill, it's sad to hear his claims, and he's a sad individual.

I find it interesting that Leaf required eBay to remove all mentions of Leaf in the listings, yet the word Rize barely even appears on the back of the card, but Leaf is featured prominently.

Leaf 12/20/12:
Last comment on the subject:

The copyright line was necessary due to (a) licensing and (b) we commissioned the print job for him.

We did not design, choose players, market in any way these cards.

We merely provided services to them.

Anything else is merely speculation (which would be false)...

I do thank you guys for pointing his ok a we are notified Rize if the violation of our mark and it is being immediately corrected.

BG

Ps-trademarking a name is just registering rights you have the first time you use a name.. I know this because one of the major comapnies has just violated our rights and we are considering our options..

Yet almost two months later, after Rize has been notified, they release these autograph cards with Leaf in big bold letters.

(I like the hint of the litigation with Panini!)

And

Leaf, 12/20/12

One more note:

1) it will not be referred to as leaf Rize on eBay (eBay will end all trademark violations) or in Beckett

2) original content just like this was made last year that was leaf branded .. We elected not to do this ourselves this year and licensed the rights..

Say what you will, but this is NOT a leaf product.. We will however make sure the copyright line includes Rize as well in future..

So much for that copyright line on a card issued 2 months later.

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think if the average collector looked at this card and saw (1) a Leaf copyright and (2) that Leaf certified the authenticity of the autograph and then learned that (3) these cards are produced pursuant to Leaf's licensing agreement(s) and (4) that Leaf facilitates the printing of these cards, our average collector could only reach one obvious conclusion...

These are not Leaf baseball cards.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I think if the average collector looked at this card and saw (1) a Leaf copyright and (2) that Leaf certified the authenticity of the autograph and then learned that (3) these cards are produced pursuant to Leaf's licensing agreement(s) and (4) that Leaf facilitates the printing of these cards, our average collector could only reach one obvious conclusion...

These are not Leaf baseball cards.

Just like Bowman is not a Topps baseball card.

Leaf, 12/20/12
On this issue, I can assure you the cards produced in future (not already printed) in conjunction with Leaf will have a far different card back.. BG

and
However, the reason this is a good thing (although no one cares to see this as a positive), Rize is providing base cards for prospects for which we do not care to make an release base cards ourselves,..

So it's a good thing that Rize has BASE cards... is it a good thing that Rizer-Leaf has autograph cards? Since you have made three separate releases already of all of these players -- now 4, further diluting the Leaf autos?

Last edited:

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
They're a third party authenticator for the card, obviously. It's like if Topps outsourced its guaranteeing of Bowman autos to PSA or something.

I do think this topic is worthy of consideration because a) it does not exactly fit with what the company owner said earlier and b) as a market participant that does not have the reputation that age and constancy give, shady things like this can help inform on-the-fence customers.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
These cards are private label goods.
The equivalent of a major brand making ketchup for Kroger. It is not advertised as Kroger brand ketchup by Del Monte or Del Monte Kroger ketchup.. That the is the reason it is cheaper on the shelves (and yes, private label ketchup usually makes mention of who produces it)....

With that being said, this opportunity is available to other companies should they wish to explore that with us.

BG

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
These cards are private label goods.
The equivalent of a major brand making ketchup for Kroger. It is not advertised as Kroger brand ketchup by Del Monte or Del Monte Kroger ketchup.. That the is the reason it is cheaper on the shelves (and yes, private label ketchup usually makes mention of who produces it)....

With that being said, this opportunity is available to other companies should they wish to explore that with us.

BG

Are your frickin' serious? Using ketchup as an analogy? And did you just admit you partnered a deal to make generics?

Just more junk on the market.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I can't say that I've been to Kroger's, but I buy two store brands often -- Publix and Trader Joe's. Both stores make significant attempts to cover up who makes the product while still having name recognition for a product such as Cheerios (i.e. Tasty-Os or Cheery-Ohs!). However, when it comes to a staple like a condiment, there is never an indication as to who makes it -- Heinz or Hunts is NEVER listed on the label of the product.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
So is rize now going to mirrior the one group of players leaf uses in their product? Wouldnt that over saturate the market value on certain players?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Didn't this all get discussed a few months back? Why bring it up again? Let it go [MENTION=2408]Bob Loblaw[/MENTION]

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online