Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Noah has a research project and we would like your help......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
Okay....Noah is doing a research project for school and is allowed to do it on baseball cards! So, I am turning to the experts!

I know that some of these are answerable via Google, various sites, etc., and we will research those also, but I thought of you all first.

Here are the questions he needs to research and answer, please help if you can.

1. When was it (baseball cards) developed?
2. Who invented or created it (cards)?
3. Why was this artifact (cards) developed?
4. Who does it (cards) help?
5. Where is it (cards) used, and why?
6. Where was it (cards) invented?
7. What is it (cards) today?

I appreciate those who provide feedback because I believe that only true collectors/prospectors/etc. can answer some of these questions.

Thanks!
David

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
#3 they were mainly created as advertising for tobacco, inserted in pouches and such causing folks to collect in turn having to buy more tobacco to obtain the cards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
For #4, I'd point out how many kids got "tricked into" learning Statistics and Math, even putting in order by reading and sorting the card Backs...

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
PM'd from Andrew (All In Cards):

1. When was it (baseball cards) developed? early 1900's, maybe even earlier, they were inserted into Cigarette packs

2. Who invented or created it (cards)?

3. Why was this artifact (cards) developed?

4. Who does it (cards) help? today, kids/parents. Give parents something to buy the kids and also helps parents interact with their kids as they open the packs

5. Where is it (cards) used, and why? Stores, Stadiums, anywhere sports related. Helps people identify players on the teams and sometime they are used as giveaways at the Stadiums

6. Where was it (cards) invented?

7. What is it (cards) today? Cards today are more a business then a hobby for most. It seems like kids are priced out of the products. I remember in the 80's buying a wax box, 36 packs for $18 a box. Now a standard box is min of $50 and does not even include gum.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
#3 - I believe it started with the Ruth jersey. UD said one person could shell out a ton for the jersey or they could cut it up and make cards so that many people could have a piece of it. It's a cheaper way to own authentic game used items (even if only pieces).

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The oldest one just sold at auction. Wasn't it a promotional for the team?

Yes, as far as anyone call tell. Although some people have theorized that since the Team was evidently so dominant they issued them as evidence to fallen foes.

And the first mass-produced jersey cards were '96-97 by UD as a novel idea to chase as inserts into packs. Griffey was the first big one too. 1 per 3 cases, if my memory is correct. Anyway, the idea was a big hit, and as card companies usually do, was copied and over-produced until the appeal died and the values fell off the cliff...

KnuckleballNation

Dec 2, 2012
If you can get your hands on an old Beckett price guide paperback edition from 2008 they have a very well done history and background of baseball cards in the beginning. I was lucky to find my copy because for a while I was toying with the idea of collecting all Cubs, from all companies, from 1987 through 2013. Needless to say haven't started lol. But it is a very good chronological history.

Beckett Price Guide 2008.

# 4 - cards also helped fans who listened to games on the radio. Back then, there was no TV and not all fans had access or finances to attend live games. Cards helped put a face to the name of the players they heard on the radio broad asts. I just remember my grandfather telling me this when I first started collecting. He would reminence about the Yankees, Cubs, etc.

Members online

Latest posts