Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's hear your eBay seller horror stories as a seller...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I have this one buyer who keeps wanting to buy things from me. Great, right? He's got -1- FB.

Right now, he has a current offer outstanding of almost $250 worth of stuff. If the eBayer had 1000 FB, I'd be happy. But I'm afraid of the ol', "I got an empty envelope" routine. Thankfully, that's never happened to me before -- other than chargebacks without D/C, I've been lucky.

What kind of issues have you had WHEN you sent the cards out to a USA address WITH DC? Have any of you been hit with the empty envelope argument, and if so, what was the result?

Thanks.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I had a guy hit a BIN for 200 and then messaged me that all he had was 100 and could I mail him the card before the weekend. He sent me ~50 messages in two days. I blocked him and I'm terrified to re list the card as I know he'll re-buy it.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I had an item up for $425. Guy BOs at 350, I counter at 400. He counters at $375. I mull for a day, maybe 36 hours and accept. I instantly get the "oh whoops, I pressed the wrong button/amount" line. He says he had meant to enter in $335. Lower, mind you, than the initial BO and also 3 and 7 are about as far away as two numbers can get on a 3X3 number pad. He eventually admits that he was trying to weasel out and started asking about condition. I send him 8 pictures of the card and he pays right as I realize I should just cancel this. So I refund him and now just let people weasel out if they want...frustrating.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Not card related but I sold a SJ Sharks jacket for about $150 about a month ago. I listed it as near mint cause as far as I know it was. I get a message from the guy asking if I sent the wrong jacket as the one he received had stains all over it & the buttons were all scratched up. I knew there was no way they were the same jacket but I compared all pics and I told him I don't know how I could have missed a bunch of stains. He returned the jacket appeared to be the same jacket but seems like he damaged the jacket on purpose so he could back out of the sale. since I don't accept returns for these exact type of reasons cause I've had people try to return different items then I've sent out, even had a guy try to send me back a sz L when I sold him an XL and he swore it was my mistake.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
and as if on cue, a BO i had just logged on to accept was "retracted entered wrong amount".

Logan2500

May 21, 2012
PA
Not card related but I sold a SJ Sharks jacket for about $150 about a month ago. I listed it as near mint cause as far as I know it was. I get a message from the guy asking if I sent the wrong jacket as the one he received had stains all over it & the buttons were all scratched up. I knew there was no way they were the same jacket but I compared all pics and I told him I don't know how I could have missed a bunch of stains. He returned the jacket appeared to be the same jacket but seems like he damaged the jacket on purpose so he could back out of the sale. since I don't accept returns for these exact type of reasons cause I've had people try to return different items then I've sent out, even had a guy try to send me back a sz L when I sold him an XL and he swore it was my mistake.

Ouch, that's just not right.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I had a guy hit a BIN for 200 and then messaged me that all he had was 100 and could I mail him the card before the weekend. He sent me ~50 messages in two days. I blocked him and I'm terrified to re list the card as I know he'll re-buy it.

If you blocked him he can't bid. Also require immediate payment on the card, that way if its sold it's paid for.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I have the best buyers. Never have an issue with any of them. Worst thing I have to deal with is someone being slow to pay... but they eventually do.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
The only problems I ran into when I was selling gaming cards (Yugioh, Pokemon, etc.). I think I had a lot of young buyers and I had a ton of non-paying bidders.

What makes it a horror story is that I had 200 auctions end with winning bidders and around 60 of those auctions had non-paying bidders.

Last edited:

WaxPax

A few years back, I sold a lot of 6 (of the same prospect) base auto's, each one in a penny sleeve and individual top loader, then team bagged . Buyer claimed they arrived, with ALL the top right corners dinged. I claimed it was impossible, as they were never stored without a top loader, as I immediately upon breaking box/case, secure them as I described. I had him return them to me, and sure enough they were all dinged as he stated, it was also obvious he switched them out, as none of the auto's matched the ones in the scan of the original auction.

realityflair

Nov 26, 2012
Mason City, Iowa, United States
For Christmas I got a box of Plarinum. Opened up first pack got a Russell Wilson Red Refractor auto #2/5. It had a small ding on back only noticeable when you ran your finger across it and I put it in description in eBay. I timed my auction perfectly and it ended an hour after Seahawks beat redskins in playoffs. Card started going crazy. 5 min left...bidder with 2300 positive feedback had s bid of $1200. 5 seconds left someone sniped in at 1275. Feedback rating-0. We all started there once...so I thought ok. No payment. Come to find out the guy did it on a bunch of auctions. Just sold the card for $500 yesterday. Dick weed cost me $700 In the end.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
As a hobbyist, I do primarily wax busting and collect a few, very specific players, who typically go relatively high in the hobby. Late last summer I was moving some fairly high end items that didn't quite blend in with the focus of my main PC (Stafford) to cover some other expenses. I listed nearly a dozen cards and did fairly well. However, two cards in particular had an interesting transaction sequence.

I don't ebay all that much, so I have a fairly low feedback (right on 100 right now) which people take to mean I'm inexperienced and don't know the value of what I have. As such, I routinely get queries wondering what price it would take for me to close the auction early and sell it as a BIN. My response, as a rule, is that if I had a BIN price in mind I would have listed it with one, but they are more than welcome to make me an offer. Typically this makes them leave, or I get an obnoxious "I'm trying to do you a favor" response (at which point they go in the blocked bidder list). Well this one guy, sends the request, I send a standard response, and he comes back with an actual offer (lower than what I know the card will sell for) I tell him no. He continues to up his offer throughout the week, I continue to say no.

The auction wins and the guy actually wins the auction (for about 30 more than his last offer). I list my auctions and clearly state that you must pay within 5 days of close of auction. This typically works out well. Well 5 days came and went and I hadn't heard from this guy. So I sent him a message/second invoice. He replies that he sold some cards to finance this buy, and is himself waiting on payment. So I give him another week. I contact him again, and get no response.

Do any of you guys have problems with guys asking you to close an auction early?

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Do any of you guys have problems with guys asking you to close an auction early?

I get that every once in a while. My normal response is to thank them for the offer and let them know I prefer to let the auction run its course. Doesn't usually result in additional responses or inappropriate comments.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I had a guy troll me as a buyer once...kept offering $1 on some expensive Phillies cards I had. I asked what his deal was and he said he wanted me to do him the pleasure of blocking him so he wouldn't buy any of my cards. I told him to grow up and it was pretty simple to NOT buy my cards. He finally stopped.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
In the 10+ years on Ebay, I really haven't had any problems. I used to do a lot of high end basketball items, sold Internationally, and had no problems either.

Last night I had 30 items for sale, I haven't sold anything since last September. I just printed out 21 labels, just need 9 more to pay. And this is less than 24 hours since the auctions ended.

And I don't ship PWE, either.

Members online

Latest posts