Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1991 LineDrive AAA wood box sets question (ad backs?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Has anyone ever opened one of those 1991 Line Drive complete sets that came in the wood box? It says "All 26 AAA Teams" on the front, and I'm wondering whether the cards inside are actually from the individually issued team sets (to include team checklist cards), or whether they are just the cards that were issued in packs. I didn't realize there was a difference until someone posted some scans to TradingCardDB.com of one of the team sets, and all the cards had a local sponsor's logo on the back instead of the league logo the pack-issued cards have. I'm not sure that applies to ALL of the team sets, but I figured it was worth the effort to ask.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Wow I had never seen any with ad-backs and had assumed all team set and pack-issued cards were identical. I went to the site mentioned in the OP and saw some of the AAA cards like that...does anybody know if this variation occurs for all teams, in both AA and AAA? In particular I'd be very interested in an ad-back Todd Van Poppel from the Hunstsville Stars (AA) team set if it exists.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I checked COMC, and while there is a checklist card for the Tacoma Tigers set, none of the Tigers cards on the site have and ad-back. I had a couple of "bagged" team sets of the New Britian Red Sox, but neither had a checklist, so I'm assuming they were just hand-collated.

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
1991 LineDrive AAA wood box sets question

I'm not sure about the ad backs (first time I've heard of them), but the sets in the wood box definitely contain the team checklist cards which are not available in packs.

Robert

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I have asked several eBay sellers who have 1991 team sets listed with the checklists, and so far, none of them have had sponsor logos on the back; they have all had league logos. I'm thinking this may be isolated to only a few teams.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
So far, I've identified two teams with variant advertising backs in their team set:

Indianapolis Indians (TradingCardDB.com)
Vancouver Canadians (COMC.com)

Members online