Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are there American coaches managing the China team for WBC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
It's still a developing baseball country unlike other Asian countries like Japan or Korea - Major League Baseball wants to extend it's goodwill and see if China can be a viable place to find talent in the future.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Nothing new to this sport or any other.

Russians coaching American gymnastics in the Olympics, Piazza was a coach for the Italians in the last WBC I think, international soccer is mayhem with internationals coaching foreign teams...US men's coach isn't an American.

It's very common in all sports and countries.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Nothing new to this sport or any other.

Russians coaching American gymnastics in the Olympics, Piazza was a coach for the Italians in the last WBC I think, international soccer is mayhem with internationals coaching foreign teams...US men's coach isn't an American.

It's very common in all sports and countries.

Ok, but at least Piazza has an Italian heritage so it's not weird.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
American coaches have been a part of the Chinese WBC team since the inaugural WBC year.

Allen

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Never knew that....cool.

Only reason I know this useless info is because I'm Chinese-Taiwanese. China is just so far behind in athletics compared to Taiwan and Japan (ie baseball, soccer not gymnastics, swimming, table tennis and other sports we don't care about).

Allen

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I suppose a job is a job. Nice to see bonehead selig create jobs for other countries! ;)

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Better question is why did they let Americans play for team Israel.

WBC seems to follow the olympic rule - as a U.S. citizen, you can play for another country if you have some amount of relative ties to that country. I like that because some stars who aren't good enough to make team USA can still play in the tournament for the country that they have some required amount of family ties.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
WBC seems to follow the olympic rule - as a U.S. citizen, you can play for another country if you have some amount of relative ties to that country. I like that because some stars who aren't good enough to make team USA can still play in the tournament for the country that they have some required amount of family ties.

The only ties that you had to have was that you had to be jewish.

Members online