Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Take.......Love it or Leave it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey folks,

I came home this evening from work, all full and ready to enjoy another Saturday night relaxing, and hanging out on the boards chatting about whatnot. I see that is not the case now. I have spent the last couple hours reading and soaking all of this in. I thought I would take a moment to address all of you as I felt my post would be lost in translation on the "Master" of all threads in the Mypens thread.

I guess I am a little dissappointed by how this whole situation was handled. I am a pretty active moderator on this site and I feel like I am in the know on many of the projects and situations that are going on amongst members and staffers. Tonight,however, really kicked me in the gut and caught me off guard.

I have always appreciated and respected the fact that Mike had an idea to unite people to go somewhere else when the old Beckett boards changed. I was heavily involved with the now defunct "Night Crew" website at the time and I didn't immediately sign up. However, when I saw the amount of people making the jump, I decided to see what it was all about. I am glad I did.

Mike, in my eyes, always seemed to be a Collector/Moderator rather than a true "owner" of the site. I guess it is because I know that John and Chris have put a very healthy amount of money in the setup and logistics of keeping this site going. Mike seemed to drift a bit and I guess its because he had school to handle and that is perfectly fine. No problems there. I always thought he was OK with his role of administrator and never saw this coming.

I really do think though that we can all move past this and keep this place moving forward. I know the guys that own and run the site that Mike mentioned he was promoting and I really hope that they didn't have anything to do in swaying him to promote them via a PM through here. (this statement was based on some comments made in the hot topic that is ongoing at the moment)

I wish Mike all the best in his future endeavors and if the grass is greener at another website, then so be it.

Now I get to the point of all of this.

I moderate these forums and I know many of you on a first name basis. I really would like everyone to really step back and think for a moment about the situation that has unfolded today. I also ask that if any of you are considering jumping ship that you stop, breathe, and digest all of this and really consider this. This site was set up for all of you. Its not about money, or getting free product, or having manufacturers come on here and argue the pro's and cons of their products. It was a place to go and get away from the mess that resulted in the changeover of the old BMB.

I would hope that with all of the work that Chris and John have done for this site and the money that they have laid on the line to keep this site running, you all would see that they are NOT out to pull the glory and the site from Mike. It just takes people sometimes that are better trained and in some cases more financially stable to be able to run an organization. I have been in similar situations in my work career in the past. I have a ton of respect for many of you and I would hope that the reputations of the people that help run this site speak for themselves and you will continue to support us in our efforts to make this site a very enjoyable and valuable accompanyment to the hobby.

I am damned proud to be able to say that I am part of this site and that I have had the opportunity to help make it grow as many of you have that were here since the beginning. I hope that this is merely a small bump in the road and that we can all move past this and realize that things aren't as bad as they may seem at this point. Its all about baseball cards folks. We all are here for the common goal of collecting these little pieces of cardboard with pictures on them. Please remember that.

I thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing all of you on the boards.

Brian

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I hope it doesn't go that many pages. I just wanted people to know my take on things as I am part of the staff. I am viewed by some as one of the more visible people that helps run the place and I hope that we can move forward in a positive manner from all of this.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.
Three weeks later Gilmo + Mypens made FCB
Since then Gilmo + the staff have built this place into what it is.
Mypens impact since step 1 has been minimal at best - he was recognized as the BMB2 creator and given admin privileges on this site.
He became unhappy with his lack of a leadership role - never said a word about it to anyone on staff.
Sent out a ridiculous email begging users to join some hogwash site where he is nothing more than the puppet of a couple of others while spreading users emails to all recipients.

Essentially his impact was gathering about 50 email addresses from the BMB users and inviting them to a couple of new sites. Many of those initial 50 were connected to others etc and that is how we became what we are now.

[email protected]

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.
Mypens impact since step 1 has been minimal at best - he was recognized as the BMB2 creator and given admin privileges on this site.
He became unhappy with his lack of a leadership role - never said a word about it to anyone on staff.
Sent out a ridiculous email begging users to join some hogwash site where he is nothing more than the puppet of a couple of others while spreading users emails to all recipients.

Essentially his impact was gathering about 50 email addresses from the BMB users and inviting them to a couple of new sites. Many of those initial 50 were connected to others etc and that is how we became what we are now.

Mypens had a hell of a lot more than 50 people before the conversion. I know that for a fact.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

What irks me is that he used his admin privleges to gather board info and essentially blackmail FCB with it by sending everyone spam emails.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
thenextlevel said:
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

Mypens had a hell of a lot more than 50 people before the conversion. I know that for a fact.
There was a few hundred before the conversion but he probably invited 50 or so

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

Wrong. He may have only invited 50 people himself, but the membership grew very quickly on BeckettMB because other members were inviting other members. Once it got to around 300 or so in less than a few days, it was decided that the name needed to change, but even more that the site needed to be moved for some reason. Probably bandwidth but I'm still not really sure what the reason was.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
wideright said:
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

Wrong. He may have only invited 50 people himself, but the membership grew very quickly on BeckettMB because other members were inviting other members. Once it got to around 300 or so in less than a few days, it was decided that the name needed to change, but even more that the site needed to be moved for some reason. Probably bandwidth but I'm still not really sure what the reason was.
That and BMB boards were eventually going to be shut down anyways because of Beckett in it, which they eventually were.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
wideright said:
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

you are only allowed so much traffic on those free boards, they are allocated a small pool of sql calls per month. When that limit is exceeded the board shuts down. That free board (or any shared hosting solution) is incapable of hosting his kind of user base.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
thenextlevel said:
LLWesMan said:
Here's my take:

Mypens created the BMB2.
About 50 people joined.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
ru4scuba said:
Do we really need another thread for this?

I agree with this sentiment. I understand you're a mod Blanning and feel like you have something important to say but if it was anyone else other than a mod making another thread about this it would either be locked, deleted, or merged. So I don't really see why this needed it's own thread. People are still reading the other one and your post would have fit just fine there.

I'm not trying to start an argument or a stir by posting this. This thread just honestly seems kinda pointless and weird when there's already one that's over 26 pages dedicated to the exact same thing.

Members online