Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors- All mail days are NOT created equal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This thread is directed at player collectors but any team, set, or type collector can probably relate. I think that most player collectors would agree that there are mail days, and then there are mail days. Let me expound by example.

Other than the much anticipated Topps Heritage that is soon to be released I haven't had much call to get excited about my Mike Matheny collection as of late. I'm at a point that nothing new has come out for several years and the only remaining cards I need on my checklist are next to impossible to find or simply don't exist despite what our friends at Beckett might have us believe. Because of this I have developed the need to expand my net and picked up a "card" that I really don't have a lot of interest in, but it is something I didn't have and therefore it has been assimilated into the collective.

1999 Dynasty Baseball game piece:
074f11a2-6591-4584-8bd0-03efc4cb9eaa_zps42246ce3.jpg

I've always told myself I wouldn't start trying to track down game piece cards until it was my last resort. Well, that time is here for the old Matheny collection...

Now, as far as the Ozzie collection is concerned I always have the option of picking up new releases even though that doesn't interest me that much. I've always concentrated this collection to playing years only and have never run out of cards to find. But, that day is approaching as well because there simply isn't that many more I need. When you get to that point in your collection it is gratifying but sad and frustrating at the same time.

Now to the Ozzie mail day. There are currently six cards I still need to fulfill the year 1996 (Ozzie's last playing year and therefore the last year of my focus). Most of the remaining six cards will look very familiar to player collectors who happen to have players that were active during that year. The six cards are:

Cardinals Team Issue (have only seen one ever)
Collectors Choice Team Checklist Gold (only know of one and it is deep in a collection)
Leaf Signature Platinum Press Proof (very difficult limited to 150 I believe)
Select Certified Mirror Red ( limited to 90)
Select Certified Mirror Gold ( limited to 30)
Upper Deck Diamond Destiny Gold ( very limited release)

These three came in the mail today:

Upper Deck Diamond Destiny Gold- Mirror Red - Leaf Signature Platinum PP

45_zps0e24e268.jpg

Three of the six I've needed for 17 years.

That brings my playing years total to 969/979 or 98.9%

I love it when you complete a little grouping or rainbow, or what ever you call it. Now I need the gold.
44_zpsf8f841ea.jpg

444444_zps6e724087.jpg

4444_zpscf77e12a.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
What about Matheny Cameo cards?

I would love to add cameo cards but I've never seen one. It stands to reason that due to the fact he was a catcher there should be some but I haven't seen a one. Anybody finds one let me know.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It was a very good mail day.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Just gotta do a little research. Dont assume he will be behind the plate in players cards. I say start with his spot in the lineup. Who batted before him? Check that guys cards. You may find Matheny in the on deck circle in the background of his teammates card.

I would love to add cameo cards but I've never seen one. It stands to reason that due to the fact he was a catcher there should be some but I haven't seen a one. Anybody finds one let me know.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It was a very good mail day.

Members online

Latest posts