Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors come in, I have questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm starting to hit the wall in terms of my Alan Trammell collection and have started to get into organizing it.

Question 1. For those who store their collections in binders, how do you do it? Currently I have them by brand and year, but think maybe doing them by year may better....

Question 2. What to do with doubles? I have over 1200 extras, I'd like to trade them for cards I need (there are a few low dollar needs i still have), or sell them. I'd like to avoid ebay if possible as I dont know that the return is worth the hassle of listing them, even as lots.

Question 3. This board is great, and I read it everyday. But as far as trading goes for a player collector it feels lacking. I've gotten quite a few cards here, but I feel as if there might be a better board to buy or trade for older cards. For prospects and high valued cards, its easy to find those here, but a 1979 OPC Alan Trammell is hard to come by.

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Tim

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1. I find that it is more enjoyable to look a binder through than a box full top loaders. I store my cards in two binders sorted by Beckett order keeping empty spaces for cards I need. One binder is 1986-1998 and the other is 1998-2008.

2. I also have around 1200 extras as well. If you think of anything LMK. :D

3. It is hard to find trades for me as well, but if you keep posting on various trading sites you'll eventually come across a few people that have stuff you need. Check my site for any cards you may need, I also have a few links on the sidebar that you might find helpful. http://legendsfield.googlepages.com/

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
I collect Lankford and keep all of the cards in a binder sorted by year, then brand leaving empty slots for cards I need. I have tabs for each year (1990-2004) and keep a complete checklist in the front so I can cross off the cards as I get them.

I have doubles as well, and unfortunately I'm sure you are in the same boat as me where only a player or team collector may be interested in your player. I'll list the inserts and rarer cards on EBay which I know you said you hate doing, but its really the only way to reach the whole market. The more common cards I just keep in a 1000 ct cardboard "shoebox" to pass onto someone I may meet in the future who also collects or wants to begin collecting Lankford. I know there are a couple out there because I'm not the only one buying his cards on EBay. Just haven't met them yet. :D

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I store all my cards in top loaders and seperate by year, I feel they offer better protection than a binder. I have scans of nearly all my cards, so I can view them on my PC if I want to.

I also have a ton of extras. You may want to try sportlots or checkoutmycards.com. If those aren't options, ebay unfortunately is probably the best option.

As for trading, fortunately for me we have a fellow Andruw Jones collector(Fandruw25) on the boards. I have done 99% of my trading with him. Otherwise I am not sure I would be doing much trading.

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for your responses guys. I decided to resort them by year. I only collect his playing years so I really avoided alot of the parallel boom. Im going to do 2 binders, 1 80's 1 90's.

I looked at sportlots and found a few cards I needed. Their format is very hard to navigate though, adding one item to a cart at a time is taking forever.

TBP one day I will get around to scanning them, definately not individually though. Probably in sheets of 9.

I havent seen any other Tram collectors on here, but I know of Peter Grossman, who has one of the largest Trammell collections. Ive bought a few of his doubles, but never have anything he needs.

Thank you all for your input,
Tim

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
TramFan3 said:
Hey everyone, I'm starting to hit the wall in terms of my Alan Trammell collection and have started to get into organizing it.

Question 1. For those who store their collections in binders, how do you do it? Currently I have them by brand and year, but think maybe doing them by year may better....

I keep my cheapies in soft sleeves in a separate box... by year and alpha order by set name

For the nicer stuff, soft sleeves + top loader + team bag. In boxes.

TramFan3 said:
Question 2. What to do with doubles? I have over 1200 extras, I'd like to trade them for cards I need (there are a few low dollar needs i still have), or sell them. I'd like to avoid ebay if possible as I dont know that the return is worth the hassle of listing them, even as lots.

Well, it helps to network with other collectors of the same player. Sometimes you'll be able to strike a few trades for your doubles to get something you need.

TramFan3 said:
Question 3. This board is great, and I read it everyday. But as far as trading goes for a player collector it feels lacking. I've gotten quite a few cards here, but I feel as if there might be a better board to buy or trade for older cards. For prospects and high valued cards, its easy to find those here, but a 1979 OPC Alan Trammell is hard to come by.

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Tim

Yeah, I don't really do much trading online right now myself. I just don't see much for my guys.

Sportlots is probably going to be a good spot for you... also don't forget Ebay Stores, Beckett Marketplace and maybe trading at The Bench.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
have a need list of commons ? all my cards are in team boxes and alphabethal order average 10,000 a team .

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
I just picked up 34 cards I needed on sportlots and signed up at the bench.

Tramers, there arent any commons that I need, mostly oddballs,inserts and parallels, thanks for the offer though.

Thanks all of you its been a lot of help

Tim

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I separate by brand, subtype then year. I found it was much easier to find cards based on brand than year. It keeps like cards together and allows you for aesthetics to put similar cards from different years together.

It mostly helps with tabs though. Tabbing a 1988 then 1999 then retabbing every brand makes for too much tabbing and doesn't make looking cards up easy. I've tried both and found if you sort by brand first, you can tab by brand, then you wouldn't need to tab by year because there usually aren't many cards per brand, per year and you can see where they separate.

So my sorting looks like this.

For Upper Deck:
upper deck
upper deck collectors choice
upper deck Ionix
upper deck sp
upper deck spx
upper deck mvp

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
i also collect alan trammell. i have probably 350-400 diff cards. 99% from 1978-1997. they are in a 1.5" binder.

i have his 1997 pinnacle press plate 1/1

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
TramFan3 said:
I just picked up 34 cards I needed on sportlots and signed up at the bench.

Tramers, there arent any commons that I need, mostly oddballs,inserts and parallels, thanks for the offer though.

Thanks all of you its been a lot of help

Tim

Tim - Awesome stuff man! Glad you're able to expand the collection. Good luck!

Josh

Members online