Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tough Ebay situation, I was sent the wrong redemption, then redeemed it...ughhhhh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
I just got my 2013 Heriatge Starling Marte redemption in the mail, however The picture in the auction for the card I purchased is for the "Real One Special Edition Autograph" (red auto)...I was sent the regular "Real One Autograph." That is problem #1, problem #2 is that I didn't notice until after I redeemed it, when it just said "Real One" instead of Special Edition on the Topps redemption website. Problem #3 is that I already left feedback. As with most of you on the board, I get cards in from one place or another nearly everyday, and simply overlooked the wrong redemption card. I usually look over regular cards for condition flaws, just in case, but this being "just" a redemption I didn't inspect it.

What is the best way to resolve this situation?

Picture of card that I bought:

$T2eC16V,!)0E9s37GHPnBRO+9FMyP!~~60_35.JPG

completed Ebay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-...SG1VAxiqvJ4d7%2BFZYts%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

picture of card he sent:
001_zps2aeb6c11.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
You're in a tough spot since you already redeemed it. If it were me I would just chalk it up to my own fault for not looking and be done. That said, maybe you can reach out to the seller and set up an agreement to send you the correct card and when this redemption is shipped you will return it to the seller.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
You're in a tough spot since you already redeemed it. If it were me I would just chalk it up to my own fault for not looking and be done. That said, maybe you can reach out to the seller and set up an agreement to send you the correct card and when this redemption is shipped you will return it to the seller.

That was my first thought, to chalk it up as I'm an IDIOT and let it be...but since we both made the mistake of not looking, I want to try to resolve it amicably and fair for both sides.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
You didn't receive what you paid for, but you "used" the incorrect item you received. I would ask the seller to either reimburse you for the difference in value, or pay the seller for the amount the regular auto sold for if he still has the red and is willing to send it to you.

If the seller is nice, he may even tell you not to worry about the regular auto, and just send you the red, since it was his mistake to being with.

Last edited:

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
He is just as much at fault. I know If it was me who received the redemption I very well may have overlooked it to. Contact the seller, if he is a decent seller he will work with you.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
You all made the assumption that the seller made a mistake (which, I admit, is likely)...what if this was intentional? How does the seller's feedback/history look?

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
You all made the assumption that the seller made a mistake (which, I admit, is likely)...what if this was intentional? How does the seller's feedback/history look?

I checked that first b\c I was hoping I wasn't scammed. His feedback makes me believe that this was an honest mistake.

Jim

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
"What is the best way to resolve this situation?"

I think you answer your own question with what you posted below:

"I just got my 2013 Heriatge Starling Marte redemption in the mail, however The picture in the auction for the card I purchased is for the "Real One Special Edition Autograph" (red auto)...I was sent the regular "Real One Autograph." That is problem #1, problem #2 is that I didn't notice until after I redeemed it, when it just said "Real One" instead of Special Edition on the Topps redemption website. Problem #3 is that I already left feedback. As with most of you on the board, I get cards in from one place or another nearly everyday, and simply overlooked the wrong redemption card. I usually look over regular cards for condition flaws, just in case, but this being "just" a redemption I didn't inspect it."

A reasonable seller should be willing to work with a reasonable buyer.
Email the seller and explain like you did here, pretty simple I would say.
Im sure you two will be able to work it out properly.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
As a seller, if this happened I would definitely refund you the difference between regular and red. That said it is just as much your fault for redeeming, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
Update:

SELLER: hello i would normally give a full refund when a person is not satisfied with the auction. i would give you a full refund and have you ship the card back, but when you redeemed the card like you said you did in the previous message, it made the card you won in the auction worthless. once the code it scratched off from the back of the card and entered online for redemption the card has no value. if you mail the redeemed card to me i will give a full refund since thats what the card is selling for anyways. let me know what you want to do thanks.

ME:
card is selling for between $16 and $26...as low as $12.99 per sold items. If you refund $20 to my account I'll call it even since we both obviously made oversights in this transaction.

SELLER:
last ones sold for 38 and 49. if you want to send me a un redeemed one or the redeemed card I will have no problem giving a full refund.

ME:
Actually per ebay the last 9 regular "Real One"have sold for: $15.05, $26.89, $12.99, $15.50, $19.99, $24.06, $19.99, $22.49, and $26.00; an average of $20.33 per card. Since we both made careless errors, I think refunding me $20 is more than equitable.

Here's the link to "2013 Heritage Marte" completed auctions, as proof to the sale prices I quoted you: 2013 heritage marte| eBay

Thanks,

So now I'm getting suspicious as he is sending me made up prices for the last recently sold Marte's

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Looks like he originally said that you can send him the card once you receive it and he'll give you a full refund. Sounds like a fair option.

The problem I see is that by the time you the card from Topps it may be past allowed time for a PayPal refund. (Isn't there a limit of 45 days?) He'd have to do it as gift or something, i.e. not an "official" refund for the eBay transaction.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
Looks like he originally said that you can send him the card once you receive it and he'll give you a full refund. Sounds like a fair option.

The problem I see is that by the time you the card from Topps it may be past allowed time for a PayPal refund. (Isn't there a limit of 45 days?) He'd have to do it as gift or something, i.e. not an "official" refund for the eBay transaction.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

That's why I don't want to go this route, being that he never has mentioned giving me the original card in any way, shape or form leads me to believe that he never actually had it. Also with his quoting false sales prices w/ the intent to deceive me, I don't want to buy a redemption and sent it back to him, simply because he has lost my trust.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
Update:

Seller: A partial refund wont work for me. like i said i will give a full refund for either a unredeemed or the actual redeemed version. that is more than fair.

Me:
The issue with that is by the time Topps sends me the actual card. (you surely know how timely and frustrating the redemption process can be) it likely will be past the allotted time for a PayPal refund (limit of 45 days?). I really want to resolve this without contacting paypal, I am uncomfortable with your asking me to purchase the same redemption card from someone else, then send it to you for a refund. Although we both made equally careless errors, it is worth noting that we wouldn't be in this situation if you had sent the correct card in the first place. Again,a partial refund or $20 is the fairest solution based on the past sales of this card.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
Looking at completed sales what the seller is communicating to you is what the last prices for "the special edition" version sold for. Did the seller send the other redemption to a different buyer?

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
Looking at completed sales what the seller is communicating to you is what the last prices for "the special edition" version sold for. Did the seller send the other redemption to a different buyer?

No, and he hasn't even mentioned the original special edition redemption, leading me to believe he never had it, or never intended to send it. He really has never acknowledged that he made a mistake.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
No, and he hasn't even mentioned the original special edition redemption, leading me to believe he never had it, or never intended to send it. He really has never acknowledged that he made a mistake.

That is what i gathered from exchange. Either the seller knowingly duped you or used a stock photo in auction and didnt realuze there is a difference. Did sweller have two versions for sale or just one?

Did auction mention anywhere it was for special edition?

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
There was one that sold for 49. I saw it in completed but chances are seller seems to know what he/she is doing

yeah, there was one for 49.99, but not most recent. In fact not in the 9 most recent lol! he didn't make a mention of special edition in the description, but he did have a photo of it in his auction. And, no i did not see auctions for both cards from this seller.

Will Paypal help me out at all, even though I already redeemed the card/left him feedback? He did made the first error that got the ball rolling, and I can prove that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts