Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just had surgery and want to treat myself to a box - what to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hey all,

I'm recovering from surgery on my throat and want to treat myself to my first box in a while. Any good suggestions about recent/new products in baseball or hockey I should look into? Baseball I generally like prospects (a Chromie) but was thinking maybe something like a Triple Threads box or something might be fun to open but I don't want to end up with garbage either (in the sense of player mix - not expecting to make my money back or anything). As for hockey, I like stars over rookies, so would like a shot at star Auto's of current or retired HOFers.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not too in tune with the newer non-prospect stuff so any suggestions are welcome!

John

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I definitely would not buy triple threads as it is the most hit or miss product ever. If you can find any at a good price, 2012 Bowman Jumbo is amazing and incredibly loaded. I myself have never done a high-end box break, but am thoroughly looking forward to a box of national treasures as soon as I get my Chrome football redemptions in and sold.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I suggest base Topps. TTT or NT, things like that, are so expensive and you only get a small handful of cards, not even enough to call a stack, and you open the pack(s) in 2 minutes. If i was laid up in bed, I'd enjoy opening 24+ packs and getting a few hundred cards and a bunch of inserts to sort through compared to 12 cards for $200 or whatever the high-end is these days. And if you like hockey, base UD is always good. This year there is no series 2, so YGs are limited to just a couple decent guys this year. But last year's is still decent. Yeah, get 2011-12 UD series 2 hockey.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
For prospcting, 2012 Bowman Jumbo.

For cheap and fun, 2012 Topps Archives.

For a bit of fun and set collecting, 2012 Topps Update Jumbos (although the codes are Useless already :().

Members online