Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I know this must of been done before.. when did you start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Sitting here healing from my knee surgery I am bored so amuse me. lol.
When did you get into collecting and what got you into it.

I collected heavy as a kid (75-80) But as a kid I was ... well for the better part of it... slow. lol. I didn't follow baseball and I collected the cards I thought were neat looking. I liked the colors and so forth so kids Loved to trade with me. lol. Any who around 1993 I was into beavis and buthead and collected there cards and realized you can finish sets. (i did 2 complete sets with all the scratch and sniffs). Then I went through my baseball cards and saw I had a TUN of 1980 So I finished that set and the rest was history!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i started 1987 till 1997 got back in 2001 pulled a pujols redemption been at it since then.
ps. sold that pujols guy, who knew:-(

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Had a buddy of mine get me interested again around 2006 and been at it ever since. I used to collect comics and had thousands upon thousands invested in comics. So I got lucky and found a guy willing to trade wax and singles for my comics. The rest were sold on ebay. So my entrance was not slow nor was it costly. I traded one obsession for another.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Been doing it since I was about 10ish. '78 was the first set I remember seeing 'cuz my Dad had some but '82 was the first year I remember looking for packs...

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I started collecting during the 1985-86 offseason. So 1986 topps was the first set I really got into. Tried to complete the cardinals team set from the packs my mom would let me buy at the grocery store but it took me forever to find Danny Cox. I'll keep that card forever, it brings back memories of that time and the feeling of being a kid.

Stopped around 10th grade (1992) in the classic shift of interest from cards to girls, and many other aspects of the world I was becoming aware of.

Started again in 1999 when I graduated from college. Was finishing the phase of my life where I worried what people would think of me. Had more alone time after the hectically social years of HS and college.

Been going strong ever since, even though I'm traveling around the world for work, and married and have a kid, it's still a part of who I am and what makes me happy. I'm fascinated by the weird little subculture of card collectors, and addicted to the fun of searching for bargains and hard-to-find items at shows and online.

I'm not a prospector, player collector, team collector, or set collector, but have built a large and personal collection of stuff that I like. It's a lifelong commitment to building a collection that may not ever really mean anything to anyone else, but reflects who you are and what you like.

I even wrote a song (I'm a professional musician) about baseball cards that became a cult favorite among my bands fan base. Normally the music and baseball card parts of my brain and life are so separate, it made me happy to bring them together.

Thanks for the opportunity to write my card-collecting biography! Ha!

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Busted 1970 - 73 OPC as a kid. Got back in 1977 when Jays were formed for a yr. Then back in for good in 1985 to now.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I had gotten a few packs of cards every year from 1975 on, and apparently a couple in 1974, but it was 1980 when I figured out how to collect and how fun it was, plus I started mowing lawns and having a disposable income (one lawn = as many as 30 packs!). Heavily into it till 1983 when comics took over, and I decided I couldn't do both. Then in 1991 I was in 7-11 and noticed a rack of wax packs. Topps, Fleer, Donruss, sure. Something called Score. And, what the? 99 cents for a pack of something called "Upper Deck?" Bought a few packs of Topps and was hooked. At the comic shop where I was still going, they had a baseball card section but I hadn't looked at it since I sold them most of my best cards in 1985. Found a Beckett, inhaled it, and it was all over for me.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The summer of 1985. My dad got me started. He had bought me a few packs in previous years, but I didn't get serious about collecting until '85 when I was 12.

I built the Topps and Fleer sets that year and then got totally addicted trading, building sets, collecting autographs at games and TTM and going to card shows.

That era from '85 to '91, ages 12 to 18 was the golden age of the hobby. Card shows every week in the Dallas metroplex where I lived. There were two National Conventions there, in '86 and '90. I miss those days. Sooooo much fun.

Last edited:

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I started the summer of 85 and collected pretty heavily up until 1997 then I got back into it in 2006 again

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My first card purchase was a 1989 OPC Blue Jays team set for $2 at a flea market. Bought a few packs of 1989 Donruss that year chasing the hot rookie my friend told me to look for: Tom "Flash" Gordon.

1990 Donruss was the first set I actually tried to build. I pulled the Olerud RC and had never heard of him, so I traded him for the Jerome Walton (NL ROY the year before).

Decided in 1990 I'd try collecting Olerud, mainly because he wouldn't have any minor league cards to chase.

The 1990's were high school and university time for me so interests and money were usually diverted elsewhere. I did pick up the odd packs here and there, and tried to keep the Olerud PC going, but I didn't really get back into collecting until a started making a real income in 2001.

Now my hobby is in another lull as I have three kids and a mortgage to pay for. I plan to get back into things in a few years once my youngest is in school (he's one).

That's my story and I'm sicking to it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Prior to the 1988 baseball season I just got the inexplicable urge to buy some baseball cards. None of my friends got me into it, I wasn't a big baseball fan at the time other than playing in Little League, I just wanted to start collecting for no reason. I went to the grocery store and picked out a rack pack because this card was showing:

larussa.jpg

My favorite team going to the World Series for the first 3 years I was a fan was helpful to my collecting. I've been crazy about cards ever since, though I did do mostly football from around 1995-2000.

Members online

No members online now.