Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need Help with understanding 1998 Pacific Online

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
As the PC Renaming project continues, I had no idea what to name these different cards, and I just need some guidance as to what card is what.

So there is Pacific Online
Pacific Online Red (simple to figure out, its got red foil)
Pacific Online Web Cards
and Pacific Online Winners.

I have cards with Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Red Foil and a gold foil that on the back has some numerical code on it.

Which is which?

Gold
1998%20Pacific%20Online%20311%20Hitting%20Gold%20Foil.jpg

Red
1998%20Pacific%20Online%20311%20Hitting%20Red%20Foil.jpg

Silver
1998%20Pacific%20Online%20311%20Hitting%20Silver%20Foil.jpg

Gold with Code on Back
1998%20Pacific%20Online%20Web%20Cards%20311%20Hitting%20Gold%20Foil%20Back.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have my cards in front of me so I can't answer totally. There are three cards in the set for bagwell. A fielding, and hitting version of 311 and then 334 which is a team checklist. And then all three versions have a red parallel too. Not sure if the gold or silver is the base version...it's not differentiated in the checklist and I don't have the cards in front of me. I'm thinking one is retail and one is hobby? If I remember, the web cards are the ones with the code on the back like your scan above. As for the winners...it should say winner on the front and if I recall correctly, Nosterbor has said those things are a ****** for any player. They are not easily ,if ever, found. I don't even have all the versions because I've been way too lazy. I think about the only question after all of this that you need answered is whether the golds or silvers are hobby/retail. Eddie(tonsofcommons) or one of the other guys from the 90's thread are the ones to ask. I wasn't even aware of there being a gold and a silver as I think all of mine derived from lots I won and are gold. I'd be interested to know myself. But good luck on the online winners.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks Aaron. I do have two fielding (Red and Silver, no codes) and two checklists (Red and Silver) to go with my Hitting ones. Now I need the gold versions at least, and thats a pain cuz some scans make it extremely hard to tell if it is a gold foil or silver foil. We just need to get sellers to point out what color foil it is.

As for silver and gold being retail or hobby, I dont see it listed as being distinguished hobby or retail. Grr. What a pain.

And as I look at them I notice in the corner under the card number is a little "H". But it is on each and every one of my cards. Gold, Silver, Red... all have that little H so I dont know if that means anything.

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The Silver foil is the base set, the Gold foil are the Online Web Cards. I have never seen or heard of gold foil fronts without the codes on the back, so if you have found them, you might have just screwed every player collector in the hobby! ;)

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
According to my research...

The 2009 SCD big book sez Online is "an 800-card base set featuring 750 players...Twenty players have two cards each with different front and back photos but sharing a number...The Web Cards set parallels the 750 player cards It has a serial that can be entered at the bigleaguers.comwebsite to determine if a prize has been won. Red-foil versions of each card were produced for retail-only jumbo packs...Web Cards: The cards used Gold foil on front instead of the silver foil used on base cards. One in each pack."

Players they list as having two cards: 63 Chipper Jones, 67 Greg Maddux, 101 Cal Ripken, 113 Nomar Garciaparra, 157 Kerry Wood, 182 Frank Thomas, 260 Larry Walker, 488 Mike Piazza, 505 Derek Jeter, 530 Ben Grieve, 621 Mark McGwire, 637 Tony Gwynn, 655 Barry Bonds, 686 Ken Griffey, Jr., 693 Alex Rodriguez, 704 Wade Boggs, 732 Juan Gonzalez, 743 Ivan Rodriguez.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The Silver foil is the base set, the Gold foil are the Online Web Cards. I have never seen or heard of gold foil fronts without the codes on the back, so if you have found them, you might have just screwed every player collector in the hobby! ;)

This is my recollection as well. Silver foil = base. Gold foil with code on back = online web card (one per hobby pack?). Red foil = retail parallel (one per retail pack?). I assume online winner is what you won if you entered your code and it was a winner. I had never seen one until that picture of the Griffey was posted.

On a side note, the Online set was one of the most comprehensive at that time. Recall that Topps really shrunk their set sizes in the late-90's.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I decided to double check. That other gold I had has the code in the upper right. So, my golds have codes, albeit in different corners of the card. So I do not have a gold without a code. Just another variant. And we all love variants, don't we? ;)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I decided to double check. That other gold I had has the code in the upper right. So, my golds have codes, albeit in different corners of the card. So I do not have a gold without a code. Just another variant. And we all love variants, don't we? ;)

No we don't but this thread has certainly been informative.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Also, if anyone cares, the Online Web cards (Gold Foil) can be found with the code in the lower left or the upper right.

You mean you can have the same card with the code in different spots? Oh XXXX.

Oh no, it's true:

9502f25c-7d27-4d1f-a58d-0eed70f3bbf0.jpg
ad79d3f0-3736-43e3-9e22-98275b61fa25.jpg

This makes life significantly more difficult.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hmmmm well I jumped onto COMCs and picked up a couple $0.50 cards of Belle in this set which have variations... damn have to love variations

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hilarious b/c it's true. Whoever's responsible has just potentially created a lot of work for me. Now I have to go dig through my stuff to see what I've got and then make some calls...

Make some calls? Nice, I'm sure you have connections given your PC! Which by the way, must be freaking amazing being over 2,200 cards of Vizquel... Beckett only lists him as having 2,274 cards out there!

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Make some calls? Nice, I'm sure you have connections given your PC! Which by the way, must be freaking amazing being over 2,200 cards of Vizquel... Beckett only lists him as having 2,274 cards out there!

Ah, that's a little misleading. It's 2,200+, but that includes a lot of stuff that Beckett doesn't list, Venezuelan cards, cameos, etc. If you only consider Beckett's total list of 2,274 (which includes a ton of 1/1's and printing plates), I have around 1,940.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ah, that's a little misleading. It's 2,200+, but that includes a lot of stuff that Beckett doesn't list, Venezuelan cards, cameos, etc. If you only consider Beckett's total list of 2,274 (which includes a ton of 1/1's and printing plates), I have around 1,940.

I hear yea... That's still impressive! That's essentially where I'm at via Beckett recognized cards, ~85%. I have a binder of off-Beckett Belle cards, odd ball items and a few cameo's but I refuse to get sucked into the cameo world... just too many new cards keep coming out of Belle to have any focus or fun going after those. If Topps ever stops jamming Belle into all the new sets by the 10s and 20s, I'll def start that project... would be a lot of fun.

By the way, your sig is SICKKKKK

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I hear yea... That's still impressive! That's essentially where I'm at via Beckett recognized cards, ~85%. I have a binder of off-Beckett Belle cards, odd ball items and a few cameo's but I refuse to get sucked into the cameo world... just too many new cards keep coming out of Belle to have any focus or fun going after those. If Topps ever stops jamming Belle into all the new sets by the 10s and 20s, I'll def start that project... would be a lot of fun.

By the way, your sig is SICKKKKK

85% for Belle is awesome. I wish I had something unusual to contribute.

I think I've picked up a couple more since that sig was put together, like 20 or 21 of the 89, so maybe it's time for a new one!

Cameos and others are are just a product of my running out of cards to chase. I've been buying checklists as well, which is a serious sign of desperation...

Members online

Latest posts