Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Luck, In a Nutshell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Never Invest in Pitchers

Which I try to avaoid, but fail miserably at. Every guy I get excited about is a pitcher.

So I guess I don't agree.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Never Invest in Pitchers

Which I try to avaoid, but fail miserably at. Every guy I get excited about is a pitcher.

So I guess I don't agree.

Problem is, all it takes is one killer outing for a pitcher's card prices to spike, whereas it (usually) takes more than one game for a hitter's cards.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Problem is, all it takes is one killer outing for a pitcher's card prices to spike, whereas it (usually) takes more than one game for a hitter's cards.

I agree. Actually, they can go both ways: 1 awesome game, or 3 steady-to-elite outings. It takes a hitter a few games or more to build hype; it can litterally happen over night for a pitcher, or a few games.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, I was planning a pretty hefty sale of my stash of his when he inevitably got drafted away from Vanderbilt.

I have less than JP, I think, but I do have the red paper 1/1, Jersey # Orange Ref auto, gold ref auto, 4 ref autos and 1 base.

Just remember Jaypers, David Price, Mike Minor, Sonny Gray, Tyler Beede, Jeremy Sowers...VU pumps out first round pitchers. This is just a small hiccup. Plus, it could just be the cold weather and be nothing. As I recall, quite a few top pitchers were drafted last year very highly with arm issues. Giolito, Smoral...

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I invested my share in Sheffield and just saw the article as well. In my experience, this is never a good sign. I'm planning on moving half to all my stash though I do get greedy a lot. I certainly wouldn't want to wait for the 2016 draft to move them.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Not investing in pitchers to me was always a cop-out for people who didn't want to do the hard analysis. Some of the best profits I've ever had have come from pitchers.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Not investing in pitchers to me was always a cop-out for people who didn't want to do the hard analysis. Some of the best profits I've ever had have come from pitchers.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty invested in pitchers, and I constantly tell myself I am crazy for doing it.

Last year, some of the biggest jumps in baseline sales were from pitchers - Bundy, Fernandez, Barnes and Bradley

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I have plenty invested in pitchers, and I constantly tell myself I am crazy for doing it.

Last year, some of the biggest jumps in baseline sales were from pitchers - Bundy, Fernandez, Barnes and Bradley

I think of it this way: if I were prospecting for a living, ie looking to make a steady and reliable income, i would NEVER invest in pitchers. But, since it do it small time and sort of for the fun of it, pitchers are a bit more interesting to invest in.

My Daniel Norris stash is staring at me. Oy.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Fwiw, word came back from Dr James Andrews that tommy John surgery is the verdict.

Good luck on a full recovery.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Fwiw, word came back from Dr James Andrews that tommy John surgery is the verdict.

Good luck on a full recovery.

Bud Selig: "For their first selection in the 2013 first year player draft, the Washington Nationals select Jordan Sheffield".

Members online

Latest posts