Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This made me laugh - Boycott Beckett Publication - Blowout LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Not much on the internet can make me laugh.... but I read this over on Blowout forums and got a good chuckle out of it.

Who subscribes to Beckett Baseball or Football? I did but no longer. It is a worthless magazine. For $34.95 for 12 issues, it is a rip off. They ran a special for $24.95 so I got sucked in but now want full price. I think if everyone stopped buying them, they may shape up and offer a decent magazine. What are your thoughts and experiences.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
I wish it would go away, I can't stand going into a card shop and they guy behind the counter says "let me check the book price on that". I just laugh and let them know I pay ebay going rate.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Not much on the internet can make me laugh.... but I read this over on Blowout forums and got a good chuckle out of it.

Who subscribes to Beckett Baseball or Football? I did but no longer. It is a worthless magazine. For $34.95 for 12 issues, it is a rip off. They ran a special for $24.95 so I got sucked in but now want full price. I think if everyone stopped buying them, they may shape up and offer a decent magazine. What are your thoughts and experiences.

Has that person never subscribed to a magazine in their (probably teenaged) life? Magazines ALWAYS have a lower intro price, which expires after a year or two, then you're on the hook for the standard sub rate. Putting aside all the "who buys Beckett anyways" snarky comments, $35 for a year sub is good price for almost any magazine. Not many you can get for $3 an issue, and with cover prices running $10/issue on Beckett, that guy just sounds like an idiot who can't do math.

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
What i don't understand is why their website sucks so badly. Marketplace has been down again for the past few days - NO RESULTS SHOWN. I feel bad for sellers.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

A few people say the same thing about Topps! LOL

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I wish it would go away, I can't stand going into a card shop and they guy behind the counter says "let me check the book price on that". I just laugh and let them know I pay ebay going rate.

You have a point: without that stupid magazine around, people would have to use actual marketplace sale, or just decide what they want for it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The problem with completed auctions is that its not always valid with regard to really rare stuff, many people don't know how to interpret this market at all.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm pretty sure the only people Subscribing are the ones who want the Full-Time online access.

I think most Collectors buy an issue or two a year, even for the higher cost, and that's about it...

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The problem with completed auctions is that its not always valid with regard to really rare stuff, many people don't know how to interpret this market at all.

Yeah, but Beckett doesn't list rare stuff anyway, and are generally wrong when they do list.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The only magazine I'll subscribe to is sports illustrated. I've always felt like I got my money's worth!

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I haven't looked at a Beckett in a while.. are any of their prices accurate these days? vintage at least??

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Cheap ass entitlement over at blowout? No way, who would have thought. Another tool trying to rally the troops for THEIR cause lol

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I haven't looked at a Beckett in a while.. are any of their prices accurate these days? vintage at least??

just the low column to ebay prices, most of the time. HI column is for card shops to rip you off. ;)

i don't know why the BO poster is complaining - just don't renew at $35 and they'll eventually get desparate enough to offer you a $25 renewal deal. better yet, read the beckett blog and FCB forums and you'll know whatever editorial info there really is in the magazine and put that $25 saved towards cards.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Beckett will be gone soon enough.

Then we'll all reminisce about it, and miss having a monthly print magazine about sports cards!

I agree, the mag is lackluster, and the website is amazingly bad. But when they go, no one will replace them -- keep that in mind.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Beckett will be gone soon enough.

Then we'll all reminisce about it, and miss having a monthly print magazine about sports cards!

I agree, the mag is lackluster, and the website is amazingly bad. But when they go, no one will replace them -- keep that in mind.

It is wholly possible that the magazine is turning a moderate profit.

Clearly, BGS is the cash cow. Without BGS, Beckett would be long gone. However, the companies advertise like crazy in Beckett, and newsprint is cheap to print on. They have a skeleton crew over there, so their expenses are not great. I'd be curious to see their income statement.

Latest posts