Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you crack and resubmit this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I recently acquired a nice Harper Blue Auto BGS 9/10. The subs are 9-centering, 9.5-corners & Edges, and 8.5 on surface. Looking at the card closely it looks like there are no scratches or print marks on the surface but a couple of mysterious marks or spots that could possibly be wiped off with a cloth. What would you do if you were me...say what the heck and crack it out and try to clean the surface or leave it and enjoy it as it is?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Keep in mind you need to get TWO .5 bumps, not one. 9.5, 9.5, 9, 9 would still be a 9....minimum overall 9.5 grade is three 9.5 subs and one 9.

If you were .5 away it's worth a shot on a card like this where a 9.5 would add a couple hundred dollars of value, but if you're 1.0 away, that's tougher to do. If you think surface grade came from fingerprints, then it may be worth a shot, as those can be pretty easily removed.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Thanks guys, keep the opinions coming! I am a novice grader....actually I have never, ever submitted a card before in my life so the advice of you guys who are knowledgeable about grading is what i'm looking for.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Keep in mind you need to get TWO .5 bumps, not one. 9.5, 9.5, 9, 9 would still be a 9....minimum overall 9.5 grade is three 9.5 subs and one 9.

If you were .5 away it's worth a shot on a card like this where a 9.5 would add a couple hundred dollars of value, but if you're 1.0 away, that's tougher to do. If you think surface grade came from fingerprints, then it may be worth a shot, as those can be pretty easily removed.

I agree with the above. You MIGHT get a sub bump on the surface and you MIGHT get a sub bump on the centering, but I think it's pretty unlikely that you get a bump on both. However, if you think the only blemishes on the surface are those spots that can be wiped off, it's entirely possible that you can get a full point bump. Tough to say without having the card in hand.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I agree with the above. You MIGHT get a sub bump on the surface and you MIGHT get a sub bump on the centering, but I think it's pretty unlikely that you get a bump on both. However, if you think the only blemishes on the surface are those spots that can be wiped off, it's entirely possible that you can get a full point bump. Tough to say without having the card in hand.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!! Nice card man!

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I might crack it and wipe down the surface and try again. Nothing to lose and maybe a different set of eyes seeing it might help. If you can make a show where they do rcr I suggest that also

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Centering looks like a 9.5 on a good day (unless the back is really bad). The centering **** probably graded that one. As mentioned, if the surface is 8.5 because of easily removable smudges, crack, wipe, and re-sub. I do it all the time (with varying degrees of success). You may be pleasantly surprised with the result.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
good luck with a full bump. Lets not forget the grader can just as easily downgrade a sub. The odds all subs stay the same and one sub gets a full point bump are not good at all.

2 bumps IS tough, but he only needs 1 bump if cleaning the surface spots raises the surface sub a full point, which is completely feasible

RipitRipken

Jan 4, 2013
OP...if you really think the only issues on surface are fingerprints, I would most DEFINITELY remove it.

1. It's easy to remove from the case if you know how to do it.
2. Centering looks like it's a 50/50 shot at a 9.5
3. as mentioned, if you remove fingerprints....you have a good chance at what you seek. I think the risk is definitely worth the reward.

Do it with a large group, or find a RCR place. That will give you the highest probability.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I'm scared to try any method that involves blunt force and impact

This is the way I have always done it. Use a large Phillips head screw driver, put the card on a flat hard surface, place screw driver at the base of the label, then hit it rather hard to get through both sides of the case. The case should pop into two halves that are nearly identical. Simply remove the card and cut from sleeve.

Latest posts