Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AL MVP?

AL MVP?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Frow said:
H. No one

This is a great thought actually.

No one has really stood out above the crowd this year so no matter who wins it, it will be easy to argue that they didn't deserve it.

I feel like Morneau will win it because he has the numbers of a power hitter and he's on a team that could make the playoffs.

If not Morneau, then Pedroia is probably the man.

Hamilton had a huge first half but wasn't able to keep that level of production up.

The award really belonged to Carlos Quentin until he was injured...too bad.

No matter what, there will probably be more people that disagree with who gets the award than who agree with it.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Frow said:
H. No one

This is a great thought actually.

No one has really stood out above the crowd this year so no matter who wins it, it will be easy to argue that they didn't deserve it.

I feel like Morneau will win it because he has the numbers of a power hitter and he's on a team that could make the playoffs.

If not Morneau, then Pedroia is probably the man.

Hamilton had a huge first half but wasn't able to keep that level of production up.

The award really belonged to Carlos Quentin until he was injured...too bad.

No matter what, there will probably be more people that disagree with who gets the award than who agree with it.
+1

Frow

The people you brought up are the reason why I went that way.

My main issue though is can Youkilis, Pedoria, or Hamilton be the MVP when you could argue that they aren't even the best player on the team?

Pedoria vs Youkilis (and both have numbers that are compareable with Manny's 100 games with the team)

Hamilton vs Kinsler vs Bradley

Morneau is the safe pick here. He doesn't have the "sexy" power numbers but leads in other areas and his team is so weak and anemic that he's the only one on the list that completely overshadows his peers. However he's the "other" guy...he's the guy that won the HR Derby that Josh Hamilton had, he's the leader on Joe Mauer's Twins, and he's the guy that outside Minnesota no one really knows or cares about. He's the team MVP but can someone so unknown and uncared about throughout the league be the league MVP. I'm undecided myself about him.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Frow said:
Morneau is the safe pick here. He doesn't have the "sexy" power numbers but leads in other areas and his team is so weak and anemic that he's the only one on the list that completely overshadows his peers. However he's the "other" guy...he's the guy that won the HR Derby that Josh Hamilton had, he's the leader on Joe Mauer's Twins, and he's the guy that outside Minnesota no one really knows or cares about. He's the team MVP but can someone so unknown and uncared about throughout the league be the league MVP. I'm undecided myself about him.

Remember when he won it two years ago over Jeter and everyone was pissed? I'm still pissed about that.

But yes, it can happen. I've grown to like the guy since he won the award that year. All he does is quietly put up MVP caliber numbers while playing a very strong first base defensively. He deserves more credit than he gets, and I think he is the MVP this year despite the fact that no one really deserves it. If someone really deserved it, there wouldn't be 7 or 8 different options for the poll in this thread.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
mlbsalltimegreats said:
Cabrera and Im not sure why :roll: except that he is playing well as of late.

I don't think he should be MVP, but Cabrera would have crazy numbers this year if he didn't suck like mad to start the year.

Next year I think he has to be the front runner for MVP now that he is adjusted to changing teams. I think the Tigers are like the White Sox last year, and they will come back like the White Sox did this year. You know they won't just sit around and let their bullpen suck. They are picking up someone for sure. So they should be in it, which would put Cabrera in the conversation.

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
nborton said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:

I don't think he should be MVP, but Cabrera would have crazy numbers this year if he didn't suck like mad to start the year.

Next year I think he has to be the front runner for MVP now that he is adjusted to changing teams. I think the Tigers are like the White Sox last year, and they will come back like the White Sox did this year. You know they won't just sit around and let their bullpen suck. They are picking up someone for sure. So they should be in it, which would put Cabrera in the conversation.

+1

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
nborton said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:

Good point but I think I was leaning towards Cabrera because nobody is really running away with it. Hamilton was hot but has now faded, Padroia Had a decent season and then had a 2week explosion, Morneau and Sizemore have been on and off, and Quinten was injured. To me In this instance it would have to go with who stays the hottest the rest of the year. Who knows though!!

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
mlbsalltimegreats said:
nborton said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:

Good point but I think I was leaning towards Cabrera because nobody is really running away with it. Hamilton was hot but has now faded, Padroia Had a decent season and then had a 2week explosion, Morneau and Sizemore have been on and off, and Quinten was injured. To me In this instance it would have to go with who stays the hottest the rest of the year. Who knows though!!

I do think Cabrera deserves the award with his numbers, but you know lately the award has turned into a team award and not an individual one.

Frow

His numbers are nothing special. Other than being tied for HR's with a guy that hasn't played in 19 days. His production has done nothing to help his team and outside of a couple categories he isn't significantly leading over other players on his team. Other MVP candidates have better numbers in the categories except for HR's.

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
Yeah but he is right behind Morneau for runs batted in, and his SLG and OBP and OPS are better than Morneau's, but if you put Cabrera on a playoff team and he does the same on the playoff team as he has done on the Tigers this season and he wins it. I don't get it.

S

stanthemanmusial

Frow said:
His numbers are nothing special. Other than being tied for HR's with a guy that hasn't played in 19 days. His production has done nothing to help his team and outside of a couple categories he isn't significantly leading over other players on his team. Other MVP candidates have better numbers in the categories except for HR's.

Yeah, ho hum, .298/36/125 is nothing special. :roll: :roll: Get real! Those are some great numbers!

Frow

Comparatively speaking, no they're not.

All but Sizemore (who hasn't even been brought up), Quentin, and Cabrera are over .300, Cabrera is tied with Quentin for HR's and Quentin hasn't even played in 19 days, and Morneau has more RBI's and Hamilton has 1 less. Hamilton, Quentin, and Youkilis all have a higher OPS with Morneau and Sizemore .006-.007 points behind Cabrera and Cabrera has the lowest OBP of any of the candidates listed. Pedoria (the only one listed over 200 hits), Hamilton and Morneau all have more hits.

It's a big jumble statistically, how do you say the player that is on a team with a 2 win different from last place is the Most Valuable Player of the league?

Members online