Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards that evoke a specific time/memory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Seeing this card immediately put me back in 1998 (if only for a moment). Thought it was interesting how a card that does not specifically mention an event could still capture a moment. Any other cards you have or have seen do so?

$T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q9NnBRNCcl,h,!~~60_57.JPG

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I always loved that card, but to me, the coloring is off. Sosa should have a soft red or blue background and McGwire with a soft yellow (like in the Sosa above) or red if Sosa was blue. Plus the two marker colors is weird.

speedmasterp

Nov 5, 2012
Baltimore, MD
First time I've seen that card, and it is awesome.

What's the value on a card like that? Once I get most of my old collection cleared out I want to start focus on picking up some cool items like that.

Some other futrue WANTS that are similar to this are:

Griffey/Ripken dual Auto
Jeter/Ripken dual Auto

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
1985 I was a young young kid (When I really first started to collect), i would trade anything and everything for Gooden Rc's and then Watching the Whole (Or as much as was on tv) 85 and 86 Mets season unfold. Never forget.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I apologize in advance for the long-windedness of my post. This is an excellent topic though as I can show my collecting history in pictures! As a 29 year old I grew up during the "dark ages" for collecting, however I have several cards like that and I think about them often. Some of my earliest memories are as a 7-8 year old going to my first shows in 1990-91 and buying some Upper Deck Basketball. I bought a couple packs and pulled the famous Larry Johnson RC and couldn't contain my excitement, went back and bought another pack only to pull the other 'big' card...Dikembe Mutombo RC! My day/year was made and I remember vividly the excitement. Then that Christmas my grandparents bought me an entire box of that UD product! I couldn't believe my luck...just what I wanted! The cards are virtually worthless at this point in time but the sentimental attachment I have to them both is priceless! I even bought 2 of those UD boxes for less than $15 off eBay a couple years ago and opened them just for nostalgic purposes....it was the most fun I have had opening cards in awhile.

The next cards are nostalgic simply because they brought me back into collecting. Like most I got out of cards when I started driving and started dating. I would occasionally buy a pack or two but nothing major. In the summer before I graduated with my MBA I just happened to be standing in line at Wally World and instinctively grabbed a single pack of football cards from a feeder box, opened it in my truck and this came out

Holy cow I thought, this is awesome! Well later that week I went back to WalMart to check out their inventory that I had neglected for years and years. Saw something called Bowman Chrome in a fancy package with a big name rookie (Lincecum) so I bought a few packs....

at that time Joba was the hottest player on the planet. I couldn't believe my luck and I had to have more Bowman Chrome! Me and my buddy drove hours each week from town to town cleaning out their BC packs...

NO WAY! Well the bug had fully bitten me. I got on eBay and ordered 1 2007 BC Hobby Box from a random seller (didnt know better at the time) and got this

Fast forward to 2012...That summer of 2007 got me back into collecting full steam ahead. Though nothing at WalMart really excited me until the Topps Value Boxes popped up! I opened 70-80 and again drove from town to town cleaning them out. Pulled two HUGE cards out of them, a week apart from the SAME WalMart.

Some of my favorite memories, most actually are buying packs from wal-mart so don't ever tell me you can't have fun or do good opening retail :)

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I always loved that card, but to me, the coloring is off. Sosa should have a soft red or blue background and McGwire with a soft yellow (like in the Sosa above) or red if Sosa was blue. Plus the two marker colors is weird.
I agree with you, but I bet the art director was going with complementary colors. On the color wheel, green (background) is opposite red (McGwire's jersey), and orange (background) is opposite blue (Sosa's jersey). Or that could just be a coincidence. I haven't looked at other cards in that autographed series.

Last edited:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
The 1965 Topps Roger Maris.

I went to my first card show in 1983 and my dad (Yankees fan) bought it. I will always remember that card because it was the first one that I ever had in my collection. Even as a Red Sox fan, that's just a card that will always have strong memories.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
1989 Fleer and Donruss Ken Griffey Jr rc's. They were the first cards I ever tried to pull and bought absurd amounts of those pruducts for them. Well that and the Bill Ripken FF card was awesome then.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
1982 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr.

I used to trade with a woman I "met" from a classified ad in Tuff Stuff. I was around 8 or 9 at the time and I would send her some cards, and she would send me Ripkens. I was finally able to trade up and get her to send a 1982 Fleer Ripken RC. Easily one of my favorite cards of all time even though it's not his best looking RC. Everytime I see one I always think back to the old Tuff Stuff classifieds days and when I used to trade through the mail as a youngin.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
1987 Topps baseball set. It's the first set I collected and to this day I still purchasing packs and boxes of this set.

Members online

Latest posts