Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TriStar Cow Palace... What a joke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
After not being to a card show in over a decade, I had high hopes for the one held at the Cow Palace this weekend. Tables upon Tables of cards filled my mind as I dreamed of going from quarter box to quarter box, looking for anything I could add to my PC. And since this was being put on by TriStar, and held at the Cow Palace of all places, I assumed it would live up to my expectations.

Boy was I wrong.

Now I am a special collector, specializing in one player. That already hurts my chances of finding stuff for my PC. Second, my player was a Star in the 90's to early 2000s. Almost a decade has passed where he was relevant. But still, after hearing stories of hits from other members card show finds I thought I would be able to add to the legendary tales of the card show.

Nope. Nada. Nuthin.

I would have to guess that there were close to 40 venders. About 10 of them specialized in vintage. Another 10 or so was just memorabilia. Around 5 were football only. So this leaves me around 15 tables of actual baseball cards to dig thru. Which leads me to my biggest peeve of the day:

If you are going to have dollar boxes, or quarter boxes, where the customer has to dig thru cards, why is it that hard to seperate them by sport???

Sure, dollar boxes are great, 3 and 5 dollar as well. But nothing frustrated me more than looking for my player in a box with other players that arent even in the same sport. I shouldnt have to sort thru football or basketball cards to find baseball cards. I'd say that only 2 or 3 tables actually had them seperated by sport. Otherwise it was just a bunch of flats, all mixed together. Simply absurd.

Back in the day, I could go to a card show and each and every table was clearly divided by sport. And believe it or not, back then vendors would actually have them already sorted by player! Only one table at the entire show actually had rows of cards seperated by player. It was a treat to find this vendor, and a privilage to go thru his nicely divided cards. Granted, he didnt have any of my player, but he did have some for my best friend's PC and that was cool enough for me to give him thumbs up.

Nevermind that it cost ten bucks to park. Nevermind that it cost 12 to get in. The fact that I left with just these items at a Big Card Show event in the year 2013 makes me realize that people are right in saying that the internet has killed the brick and mortar sports card market. I would much rather spend a few hours on ebay or comc than go to any other card show if they are all going to be like this from here on out.

I'm sorry about the rant. Am I the only one that walks away basically empty handed from a card show these days?

Ok, not totally empty handed. Wasnt expecting to find the latest Chris Jericho figure there, but I did need some pages and I did get two cards. One for BiggioBrooks, and the other for me. Which was a waste since it turned out that I already had it. :/

20130420_181849_zpsc2753c41.jpg

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
kinda glad I had to stay home and babysit now.... really only 40 tables ????? seems like last time I went there was way more than that

richezOne

Aug 11, 2008
BAY AREA, CA
I also thought it was better then that... a lot of money was changing hands all around me. Even yesterday was crazy good too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
Next time, try to find surface street parking and walk, you'll have that extra $ to spend. You're certainly right that there's a gap between vintage and current modern typically but I've had some success at the Cow Palace over the last couple of years.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I set up with ryan! That's my dude right there!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

If you're there tomorrow with him, tell him "Amish Dave says hi and to get his ass back on Youtube making vids !!!"

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
OP, I wish I had known you were going to be there - would have been nice to meet up with a fellow hardcore player collector.

I spent about 3 hours at the show today, and I must agree - seems to me like the Cow Palace has hosted far more vibrant shows in years past. There were a lot of people, but not a lot of tables.

I was on the lookout for hits to my dwindling vintage lists. I managed to pick up a couple of '52T Dodgers high numbers from Roger Neufeldt, who has always treated me well. In my mind, I always end up paying more than I think I should, but given the current market for '52 high numbers I think I did pretty well on my pickups. I think I could have done a little damage to my short '70 and '72 baseball lists but ran out of time, plus there wasn't a lot of low-grade vintage to be found. That's understandable - I'm sure table prices were high, and dealers don't want to haul around raggedy cardboard for the few collectors like me.

There was way more modern than I would have preferred, but I understand modern is a big draw. Except for my little niche Dodgers collection, it's just not for me. I was also hoping to stumble across a Brett Butler Giants jersey, but nobody had one, at least not out where I could see it. As Bobby Boucher said, "the soich continues."

The worst thing about the Tri-Star show in San Francisco is the number of Giants fans. ;) Guess that can't be helped, especially when they're the defending champs.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I think what kills it for you, and probably does for a lot of other folks too, is the fact that you only collect one player. It's cool you do and obviously I like Bagwell from a collection aspect. But it will make going to any show or any shop damn near a waste of time. Hell, even going to a shop or show in Houston is a waste of time if that's all your after. Trust me. You know how long it's been since I've found a Bagwell I needed anywhere besides the internet? That's why I collect different players and different sports and also do sets. I never run out of things to chase and I also can be as selective or open as I want to be with what I buy. And those boxes you looked through are my bread and butter.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I guess my biggest gripe wasn't so much the fact I left empty handed, but just the overall lack of organization. It just felt like a huge waste of time. I love sitting and digging through flats, but I just prefer the cards I am looking thru to be all baseball. I did see lots of McGwire, Griffey, Bonds, and other 90s cards in a few of the boxes I went thru. Just makes me think of other members here who do collect them and I wonder if they need them.

And yes, lots of Giants stuff. So, if you guys are Giants fans, definitely go. Lots of goodies for you. But bring a buttload of cash, cuz stuff was expensive in their department.

Members online

Latest posts