Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Quick Ebay sale and funny story to boot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I had a good quick sale on Ebay last night and a funny story to go with it. While watching ESPN I saw them talking about Red Sox starting pitcher Clay Buchholz winning again and I remembered I had a Topps Chrome RC refractor auto of him that I got for peanuts a while back. I thought maybe I can finally get something for it so I quickly got an auction started on Ebay with a small starting bid.

Within 5 minutes of starting the auction I got a notice of an Ebay message come in on the card. The message asked if I'd put a Buy It Now price on the card and that the person wanted to buy it "for her husband's birthday" coming up next week. I responded with a "make me a fair offer and I'll just end it early" as this had just started. The offer I got back was for $11, not even close to what I checked to see what recent ones had sold for. I responded back with a "no thanks" and brought up the auction and put a $30 buy it now price on the auction. Well, shortly after that I got another reply from the lady looking to buy it now for her husband's birthday saying it will never sell, I'm way over priced, and that they've bought several copies of that card for under $15. She asked if I'd do $15 Dlvd for the card and I turned it down again. Before I could get another reply back I got a message box come up saying my Buchholz card just got sold at the $30 buy it now price. Somebody else thought the price was okay with them and bought it.

Of course, I had to reply back to the first person and thank them for asking me to put a buy it now price on the auction and that I had to regretfully tell them somebody else bought it for TWICE their last offer. Yeah, I got a nasty reply about how stupid I was and that the person who bought it must not know anything and way overpaid for that lame card.

Didn't take me long after that to add another name to my blocked bidder list so I don't have to deal with them ever again... Even to use the lame storyline about buying it for "her husband's birthday next week" got me to chuckle after they said they've bought "several copies" recently at the cheap price. I guess I didn't fall for their story and ended up getting more out of the card than I thought I would.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Had a similar thing just happen to me a couple of months ago. Put up a lot of Stanton color refractors including a red ref /25 for a $60 BIN. Almost immediately I get an offer of half that and "I've bought a few lately" and "blah blah blah". I said there was just an auction for a red ref that sold for $35 so I was looking for something much closer to my initial price. Then comes the "no, that was 2011, not 2012", and some other reason I'm a fool for not accepting his offer. Then he sends me a $40 offer and I politely decline again, saying since it was just listed I'm ok with letting the listing run for awhile before I consider lesser offers. Then before he even had time to send his last offer/question, someone bought it outright for the $60.

At least my offers were not as lame as your "husband's birthday" angle.

Members online

Latest posts