Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the oldest baseball card set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Pretty simple but I was trying to see what is the oldest baseball card set?

I saw on COMCs the other day they had a card from the 1880s or something and I thought about picking it up just to have a really old baseball card in the PC but thought to myself, it'd be cool to have a really really old baseball card and be able to say it's from the oldest set. Anyone know off the top of their head? Or is this a loaded question because of oddball old items which can be classified as baseball cards.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I'd be interested in knowing what the first true baseball card set was also, none of this mixed athlete stuff or team photo issues, just baseball players.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think it is the 1868 Peck and Snyder cards. But these were team shots but definitely a set.

If you are asking for the first set with individual players, I'll have to actually do some digging.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think it is the 1868 Peck and Snyder cards. But these were team shots but definitely a set.

If you are asking for the first set with individual players, I'll have to actually do some digging.

Yea, not team shows but individual players. At least that's what I'm interested in.

It seems there is a four way tie for the first set to feature individuals. 1887.

Allen and Ginter, Buchner Gold, Gypsy Queens, and Old Judge. Old Judge had 476 cards!

Source: Baseball Cards, 1887-1914, Sets Browse

Hmmm very cool! Man, I forget the card that was on COMC but it was OLD... it was like 1880s I think. In pretty bad shape but I think it was only $100 or less...

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
It seems there is a four way tie for the first set to feature individuals. 1887.

Allen and Ginter, Buchner Gold, Gypsy Queens, and Old Judge. Old Judge had 476 cards!

Source: Baseball Cards, 1887-1914, Sets Browse

This may be the next Topps Product to be reinvented
2013 Topps Buchner Gold

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
so if those are the oldest baseball card sets, which set is the oldest mixed set that has a baseball card?

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
1866 E.S. Sterry & Co. (currently on eBay: Item 400327821694)

!B9FueDw!mk~$(KGrHqN,!iEEzL)e4e-YBM4)pM5VJ!~~0_12.JPG

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'd have to go with 1887 Old Judge as the progenitor of the baseball card set as we think of them today, which I'd roughly define as a comprehensive checklist of individual ballplayers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts